• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nokia N8 vs Nexus One

ironass

Extreme Android User
Aug 17, 2010
Cotswolds, England
In case any of you were thinking of changing from your Nexus One, on 2.2, to Nokia's new flagship phone, the N8, I have one piece of advice for you... don't!

I have both the Nexus One and the N8 and I'm afraid that I won't be switching to the N8 as my main phone.

The 3.5" screen of the N8 seems so much smaller.

It is slower than the Nexus One.

The browser is a lot slower and seems almost "antiquated".

The photo Gallery is uninspiring.

and the list goes on...

For my full review... see here:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96706

The only thing the N8 can offer that the Nexus One lacks, is easy mobility between carriers due to it having pentaband 3G cababilities. Why Google didn't make the Nexus One a pentaband phone, I'll never know. When Google introduced the Nexus, they wanted to shake up the system with an unlocked, open source, no contract phone. In my opinion a phone isn't truly unlocked until it can be used on all carriers (or at least all GSM carriers).

Upvote 0
Thank you for posting, now i can do bitchlap to my class mates who said that n8 is better than n8. How can it be better with mini 3.5 dizplay 360x600 resolution, bad 600mhz processor and with small 256mb ram running on bricked os called symbia. My classmates were just over adversted. Btw i am only android user in my school. Time to stop this!

Upvote 0
We just got the N8 in our lab for testing and while the Nexus beats the N8 in some categories, the places where the N8 wins it wins impressively.

I think the device feels a bit big in my hand, but I'm a small profile type of guy when it comes to my phones. Also the new Symbian OS isn't just a reskin of the old Symbian OS, it's essentially a rewrite and it's actually quite solid with the exception of widgets (They pretty much suck).

Overall the N8 wins in certain areas such as build quality (it feels very solid) and camera/video function, no camera phone out right now can even touch this thing. Also, while the old Symbian OS is dead, the new OS is a very good replacement, not to mention the interest from developers and manufacturers; the cost to test applications for Symbian have plunged with the change in requirements and I see Symbian remaining a competitor.

Considering how outdated the previous Symbian OS was and it still hasn't gone away, i think you'll see it around for a while longer. I'm not ditching my Nexus just yet as I prefer Android currently, but to call the N8 bad or not as good as the Nexus one from a features aspect is not accurate.

Upvote 0
thank you for posting, now i can do bitchlap to my class mates who said that n8 is better than n8. How can it be better with mini 3.5 dizplay 360x600 resolution, bad 600mhz processor and with small 256mb ram running on bricked os called symbia. My classmates were just over adversted. Btw i am only android user in my school. Time to stop this!

n8=n8????

Upvote 0
i'm on galaxy i7500 and was planning to switch to nexus, but never again to symbian, it looks so ugly and cheap now comparing to android (i had the nokia 5800 for a long time). then suddenly i stumbled upon the omnia 7 with wp7 review and that changed everything, instead of nexus i'm getting the mozart ;)

Upvote 0
We just got the N8 in our lab for testing and while the Nexus beats the N8 in some categories, the places where the N8 wins it wins impressively.

I think the device feels a bit big in my hand, but I'm a small profile type of guy when it comes to my phones. Also the new Symbian OS isn't just a reskin of the old Symbian OS, it's essentially a rewrite and it's actually quite solid with the exception of widgets (They pretty much suck).

Overall the N8 wins in certain areas such as build quality (it feels very solid) and camera/video function, no camera phone out right now can even touch this thing. Also, while the old Symbian OS is dead, the new OS is a very good replacement, not to mention the interest from developers and manufacturers; the cost to test applications for Symbian have plunged with the change in requirements and I see Symbian remaining a competitor.

Considering how outdated the previous Symbian OS was and it still hasn't gone away, i think you'll see it around for a while longer. I'm not ditching my Nexus just yet as I prefer Android currently, but to call the N8 bad or not as good as the Nexus one from a features aspect is not accurate.

Sounds like they should market it as a great Camera that can make calls then. ;)

Upvote 0
Just wanted to give some perspective :) Not really an apostle for the N8; just letting you guys know it's a decent phone and it is a pretty strong first step for the new Symbian OS.

I think Shttw's point was, sure, Nokia makes great hardware-- both camera quality and call quality are hard to beat. However, it is software that really makes a handheld. You might convince someone who doesn't have a Nexus One to take a chance on an N8, but I doubt anyone with a Nexus One will show much interest. I know, personally, after my 5800, it will be a loooooong time before I give Nokia another chance. And I'm being kind by not even mentioning the abomination called Ovi.

All my opinion, of course. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones