• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

.nomedia not hiding from facebook

jestsomguy

Lurker
Aug 6, 2020
So I am using the .nomedia file in a folder with some picture that I want on my phone but don't want anyone to casually find. The .nomedia file seemed to solve my issue, I was thrilled! UNTIL, I was in the Facebook App and went to upload a picture and there are all my hidden files for everyone to see. I could turn off permission to facebook but then I can never upload anything. I don't want that. Anyone have a suggestion?

Use an alternative to the Facebook app that actually respects your choices? There are apps like Tinfoil for Facebook which are basically wrappers around a browser (purpose being to stop FB getting access to the rest of your browsing), which means that as long as the browser takes note of .nomedia this problem won't arise. Note though that I don't know whether it will: there's no reason a browser has to be limited to uploading only media, so it really depends on how the upload interface is coded.

Of course this issue only arises when you are trying to use the FB app to upload something, which is presumably something you don't want anyone else doing with your Facebook account anyway! If you really don't want people snooping through your phone the answer is to not give them access in the first place: a gallery app might respect a .nomedia file but a file explorer won't (its purpose is to look at all files, not just media, so ignoring a .nomedia is the correct behaviour). So anyone who wants to poke through your phone is going to have ways of finding this stuff unless it's in some protected folder as suggested above, which is why I say the real answer is to PIN/fingerprint protect your phone and not give others unsupervised access to it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The media search function within the FB apps is a total disaster anyway.

The best way to share something is to find it in yohr gallery, and then select share.

Various options should come up, FB being on of them.
Just select FB at that point, and the app should open and load your media as a new post- awaiting you to tap the 'post' button.

Much faster and secure.

Reactions: Davdi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones