• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nomore "Google Maps" for me, need help

altjx

Mar 5, 2010
I was trying to install Google Maps update but it kept giving me errors. Another thread somewhere on another forum suggested to delete 2 files in the explorer. I deleted those and tried installing Google Maps again from the APK but it gave me an error "Application not installed" with an exclamation mark on the left. Not sure what else to do. I've tried clearing all the data and cache from Market and Download Manager... Need help :(

The instructions should have said rename the file to something else, like Maps.apk.bak, or else to move it from /system/app to /sdcard.

Now that you don't have it working anymore, you'll need the original in order to put it back where you took it out of.

Here is my copy:

Maps.zip

Thanks, do I put this back in system/apps? What's after that? Try installing again or reboot?

EDIT: well I've put the maps.apk in the system/app folder. Tried installing from there, same thing "Application not installed" rebooted the phone, tried the same steps, got the same results. Tried going to the market and downloading "Google Maps" from there... Downloaded successfully but when installing, i got "Unknown reason -8" DAMNIT!

Upvote 0
Thanks, do I put this back in system/apps? What's after that? Try installing again or reboot?

EDIT: well I've put the maps.apk in the system/app folder. Tried installing from there, same thing "Application not installed" rebooted the phone, tried the same steps, got the same results. Tried going to the market and downloading "Google Maps" from there... Downloaded successfully but when installing, i got "Unknown reason -8" DAMNIT!

Next time confirm your directions from multiple places. if you get the same directions from multiple places (and not multiple places linking to one site) then you're golden.

Honestly, at this point I'd probably restore the backup again (you can try without the wipe first, and if that b0rks, ) - that should fix it.

Upvote 0
Next time confirm your directions from multiple places. if you get the same directions from multiple places (and not multiple places linking to one site) then you're golden.

Honestly, at this point I'd probably restore the backup again (you can try without the wipe first, and if that b0rks, ) - that should fix it.

Thanks. yeah. I ended up getting a MD5 mismatch even from the backup I made yesterday. Very weird. Guess I'll just start over, heh. thanks guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones