1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Non-Android smartwatches that can show Android notifications?

Discussion in 'Android Wear' started by cdl, Apr 10, 2017.

1. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I understand that both Pebble and Garmin make smartwatches which do not have a touchscreen, but which can show Android notifications. The lack of touchscreen is probably even an advantage for me, because I am mostly interested in using a smartwatch to read notifications, not to write replies, and smartwatches with no touchscreen tend to have much longer battery lives.

My question is: are there others? The Garmin are nice but very expensive; the Pebble Time Steel seems very functional, and is much cheaper, but is kind of fugly!

PS of course I am not considering the Apple ones; I find them uglier, too expensive, and with the same short battery life of Android smartwatches, ie lots of disadvantages but no advantage.

Advertisement

2. Martian Notifier. As the name indicates it just notifies you. It's big and could be classified as fugly but it works. I just have mine set for texts and calls, it's biggest function is to keep my phone unlocked (smart lock). Cheap, ugly and works...yup, I love it.

3. the lucky William

the lucky William Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Male
    Interesting. I never have a thought that smartwatch without a touchscreen. And also how it works, how to read the notifications, how to change the watchface, etc. Also if this watch could unlock the phone, ummm, really useful feature.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I wouldn't buy a Pebble now, Fitbit killed it. Most of the cheapo smart-watches have notifications via their supporting phone apps, but can't really recommend anything here, they're all quite grim and crummy.

5. the lucky William

Sep 1, 2016
    Male
    Looking forward to the first Fitbit 'Pebble like' smartwatch. :oops:

6. Any of them will keep the phone unlocked
    The Notifier is like a regular watch, it has actual hands. You don't change the face. The notifications just run along the bottom, they scroll. You can only read them, no interacting with them.

It's super super basic.

the lucky William likes this.
  7. Gamer333

Gamer333 New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Male
    You can find many smartwaches which gives you notifications for as low as 20$ like U-8 watches. But their battery life is awful. I had one and it couldn't last for even 6 hours.
    If you only want to get notified about SMS or call I would suggest you Xioami Mi Band, it's cheap, lasts longer than 30 days(currently have it, actually lasted 45 days+) and have notification function. But since it hasn't any screen it will only vibrate when you get any notification

8. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I was thinking more of something like the Garmin watches, which can control phone calls and display emails, whatsapp messages etc (although without the emoticons).

9. the lucky William

Sep 1, 2016
    Male
    Garmin bracelets or watches? I would go for the watch, so that I can change the watchface.
    Control phone calls and display messages, lots of watches support this feature. Search the mtk2502 watch, you can find a thousand....

10. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Sorry, I suppose I was unclear. I am familiar with Garmin watches; I was wondering if there exist other similar products by other brands, ie watches which display notifications, and ideally have no touchscreen but a longer battery life.

11. the lucky William

Sep 1, 2016
    Male
    Forget what I have said. :) @Clementine_3 His suggestion just met your requirement.

Unforgiven likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... ....

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA