1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Non Google complete Backup site needed before phone update on Motorola Moto G4 Plus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SharonaOooh, Feb 4, 2019.

1. SharonaOooh

SharonaOooh Lurker

I need to do a backup and lost most of my data with the last one even though I was sure I had backed up everything. I don't like Google so I am looking for something else that won't sell my data and that is secure. Anyone know of a place and have some instructions to make sure that I get everything moved?

Suggestions on a new email service are welcome!

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If you are concerned about Google, then you might as well rule out most other cloud services as well. They are all guilty of compromising your privacy in the name of convenience. Which means you'll have to back up your phone to a PC or personal server, and you'll have to do it individually.

The easy part is copying files and folders from your user partition. Just plug in the phone to any PC, enable MTP mode if it's not enabled already, and copy the entire contents of the /sdcard partition to a folder on the PC. Trickier are things like email and text messages, which are stored in a protected database on your phone. There are several decent apps to backup SMS and MMS messages to a single file that you can then restore on any device. Email will depend how it's configured. If it's IMAP, then those messages are on the server and you don't need to do anything (unless you want to keep your "sent" folder, too and that may or may not be synced with the server.) If it's POP3, then the easiest way will be to simply forward them to a different email account.

The problem now arises with app -- especially paid apps -- that save data to your phone. A lot of times simply copying the files to your PC won't reconnect to the app when you copy them to a new device. And, you won't even have access to paid app folders since those are stored in the system partition. And your settings like WiFi passwords will all need to be reset, too.

Maybe if you list what's a on your "must keep" list, we could be more specific.

3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

You might want to look into using SpiderOak as an online storage service:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spideroak.android&hl=en_GB
    or ProtonMail as an email alternative:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.protonmail.android&hl=en_US
    Both are touted as secure and privacy focused services but do keep in mind that while 'free' is one of the things the Android platform tries to maintain, there's an undeniable fact that there are still very real costs involved. If privacy is a major factor you might want to just switch to an iPhone. Apple doesn't rely on data mining for revenue the same way Android services do, and while a lot of people complain that iPhones cost too much but the fact is while we Android users might be paying less up front, it's our data and info that end up paying for a lot of those incidental, hidden costs in the long run.
    An example of this is with Gmail you get 15GB (or more) of free storage, with ProtonMail you get 500MB (and both services offer plenty more storage if you pay for it) -- so be prepared for truly secure and private services you will be paying more for equivalent 'free' services. Also keep in mind that a lot of third-party solutions won't be as seamlessly integrated with each other -- i.e. with your Google account your email, calendar, contacts, online storage, etc. work with each other automatically. So be prepared to be updating info manually between a lot different online services.

Motorola Moto G4 Plus Forum

The Motorola Moto G4 Plus release date was May 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2-4GB RAM, Snapdragon 617 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2016
Release Date
Reviews