• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Non-root lag fix

i thought i read somewhere you didnt need root to run voodoo (although i have no idea how or why someone would do that) but theres no quick lag-fix.

id say its the other way around, get used to the phone....then root and get used to that.....then consider voodoo. and then be prepared at some point to join

http://androidforums.com/fascinate-all-things-root/203203-i-borked-my-sf-support-group-thread.html

and ryans lag-fix in the market will give you great quadrant scores, but not the performance of voodoo

Upvote 0
all im really looking to do is speed the phone up a tad bit from stock. I hear all these kernels and voodoo and OC SV LV stuff and feel like my head is going to explode. I will get the hang of it pretty quickly but what would be the first and EASIEST way to gain some performance before I completely fall down the rabbit hole?

Upvote 0
all im really looking to do is speed the phone up a tad bit from stock. I hear all these kernels and voodoo and OC SV LV stuff and feel like my head is going to explode. I will get the hang of it pretty quickly but what would be the first and EASIEST way to gain some performance before I completely fall down the rabbit hole?
Tough call there Alice ;):p
nitsuj17 gave you some frank and practical advice Im not sure how much can be done pre-root. I mean there's things like using Launcher Pro instead of TouchWiz, xscop instead of stock brower and Handcent instead of the stock msg app. But who's to say that will give you what you're looking for. There is a tangible benefit to de-bloating, OCing and filesystem enhancements, all needing root

Upvote 0
Its funny I considered myself pretty technologically savvy until i started looking into all this haha. Sideloading, and filesystems I Have NO idea about. I ran quadrant and was looking at around 800. what would I get with just the simplest form of rooting and whatever else is needed? I dont think I want to overclock or anything like that (yet). How much better is batter life with the Low Voltage kernal? WTF is a kernal anyways. I know, im in Kindergarten here. ill get there but only when I know everything there is to know then I can hopefully help others like you are helping me. Muchas Gracias Saps and nitsuj

Upvote 0
Its funny I considered myself pretty technologically savvy until i started looking into all this haha. Sideloading, and filesystems I Have NO idea about. I ran quadrant and was looking at around 800. what would I get with just the simplest form of rooting and whatever else is needed? I dont think I want to overclock or anything like that (yet). How much better is batter life with the Low Voltage kernal? WTF is a kernal anyways. I know, im in Kindergarten here. ill get there but only when I know everything there is to know then I can hopefully help others like you are helping me. Muchas Gracias Saps and nitsuj

i never ran a quadrant/linpack after just rooting, and i kinda skipped right along to recovery/kernels after i rooted.

i would say from experience on the droid x removing crapware on the phone will give a minimal increase (i mean very minimal) in performance just by freeing up some room. its mostly just peace of mind affect for me, knowing its my phone and its my decision as to what is on there or not.
(i also recommend purchasing titanium backup to freeze the apps, not remove them completely if you want to unroot and grab the eventual froyo ota)

i cant speak to lv on this phone as my particular fascinate is fussy and doesnt like anything other than sv. my incredible runs well at oc/uv and you will see an increase in battery life. just underclocking would do this too, but ull decrease performance.

as for what a kernal is, im sure theres a good definition out there but i just look at it as "the thing that makes android run" said in a stupid voice.

all in all its a lot to take in, even going android phone to android phone. its better to not rush and screw up (although we all have, do, and will again) and to read everything possible to read first.

you'll get there, we all eventually do through trial and error (hopefully less of the latter)

Reactions: skibum1983
Upvote 0
SO technically just rooting isnt going to show much of a difference? IF you did the overclocked LV and it is finicky such as your phone's experience, how hard is it to back out and start over fresh?

just simply rooting isnt so much about performance, but what it enables you to do from there. A lot of people root just to take advantage of wifi tethering, freeze some programs and run themes/change the status bar.

I look at root as more of a gateway. As for starting over fresh with voodoo its a little more tricky (or at least the potential for it to be more tricky). Because voodoo isnt a "regular" kernel in that it changes stuff in your phone, you have to disable or remove it. You can however flash voodo kernels on top of each other if one gives you a problem. When i tried lv and it was freezing/turtling i booted into clockwork, wiped davlik cache and then installed sv on top.

That being said, and many here have made a great point of saying it, get comfortable and reread all the posts warnings many,many,many times before setting out on voodoo kernels. make sure you have android sdk installed as if you completely bork your phone with voodoo and cant make a disable_lagfix file you ll need the sdk to remove it in recovery.

i know we all seem to greatly advocate going with voodoo, i would never want someone to try something they are not comfortable with. theres always a lot of cheerleading (from me and others) to "do this its great!" but there is the caveat of prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Be ready to odin, voodoo uninstall, battery pull, 3 button recovery, stare at your computer, throw your keyboard, yell at the phone as if it understands you :rolleyes:

and remember the phone unrooted stock may be just fine for you, or simple root maybe too. better to wade in then dive.

Reactions: Benrx
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Agreed, read all the links twice

I think wolfman and I are on the same page, I just need a free weekend where I can devote the time I need to getting this in the bag. I consider myself a fast learner so hopefully this is no different.

In the event that during the process your phone goes FUBAR, can you jsut warranty out for a new one at verizon or will they say you voided warranty? Can they tell? I asked this on another thread but I cant remember which one.

If/When I pull all this off, I will gladly be the posterchild for "rooting for dummies" haha :):D

Upvote 0
I think wolfman and I are on the same page, I just need a free weekend where I can devote the time I need to getting this in the bag. I consider myself a fast learner so hopefully this is no different.

In the event that during the process your phone goes FUBAR, can you jsut warranty out for a new one at verizon or will they say you voided warranty? Can they tell? I asked this on another thread but I cant remember which one.

If/When I pull all this off, I will gladly be the posterchild for "rooting for dummies" haha :):D
Honestly if you follow the links/guides/instructions you wont have a problem. Rooting is cake and cannot be borked. If you wanna but some of these OC kernels with voodoo on also cake. The major problem everyone is having is undoing voodoo. Some issues with some ROM's as well. But every single one of us [myself included] who temporarily soft bricked their SF was able to get it back to stock.
Read up but when you're ready if you still got questions just ask. Experience is the best teacher

Upvote 0
1) what is odin
answer
2) what is clockwork
answer
3) Process of flashing entails?
answer
4)Davlik cache?
answer
I think im in over my head :thinking::(

After seeing this list, I know I'm probably not in authority to say it but, maybe someone can create a FAQ for beginners explaining these (and other) definitions and android terminology. I was looking for this when I was beginning.

I know Frisco's got his "Rooting Guide" but most of them just show you how to do things and dont' really explain what they are and what you gain from it.

Note:
I would do it myself but I don't want to give the wrong definitions as I'm fairly new to android myself. Maybe I'll try and just have people such as the great saps check my work.

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliment.
Yeah thats a good point you make.
I'll give a quick dumbed down Reader's Digest answer
1. Odin is a program used for flashing & restoring
2. Clockwork is a recovery/application system
3. Flashing entails applying zips or files unto the phone depending on how and where you do it
4. Davlik cache is optimized files

Hmmm, thats maybe too dumbed down

Reactions: Benrx
Upvote 0
Hmmm, thats maybe too dumbed down

NO! For the love of God... please dumb it down :D

I'm picking at you... but I mean it

I'm with those who are interested, but feel their brain shutting down after just a few minutes of reading.

I'm too much a literal person. When we're mixing works like Odin, Davlik, and Borked on a kernel of cake. I get lost in the slang and the real words.

Dumbing down is plenty welcome.

Reactions: saps
Upvote 0
NO! For the love of God... please dumb it down :D

I'm picking at you... but I mean it

I'm with those who are interested, but feel their brain shutting down after just a few minutes of reading.

I'm too much a literal person. When we're mixing works like Odin, Davlik, and Borked on a kernel of cake. I get lost in the slang and the real words.

Dumbing down is plenty welcome.

Good stuff. What's that old saying explain it to me like I'm 10 years old. Or K.I.S.S. Yes it can be overwhelming with all this new jargon.

Upvote 0
clearing the davlik cache is one of those things that some devs say is a MUST and others say is good but not vital. From what I understand it can't hurt you at all (although the first boot after is a bit longer as the phone has to rebuild it) but it can cause conflicts loading one kernel on top of another unless you do it. It takes 2 seconds and has become 2nd nature to me

Upvote 0
Honestly if you follow the links/guides/instructions you wont have a problem. Rooting is cake and cannot be borked. If you wanna but some of these OC kernels with voodoo on also cake. The major problem everyone is having is undoing voodoo. Some issues with some ROM's as well. But every single one of us [myself included] who temporarily soft bricked their SF was able to get it back to stock.
Read up but when you're ready if you still got questions just ask. Experience is the best teacher

So are there OC kernals with and without Voodoo? Whats the difference? What does voodoo technically do? Should you voodoo or OC first?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones