• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Non-Rooted Google Edition Rom

Gomjaba

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2012
Is there such a thing ? I am on MH8 now so I prefer not to root until such point there is a workaround (like Triangle Away) for the Knox Warranty counter.

Would still love to have the GE ROM so I am wondering if that is even possible without rooting ..

If you already have MH8, you a probably out of luck for good. If you install another ROM it won't just increase the counters, it will blow the eFuse and no amount of hacking will ever fix a blown fuse.

Fortunately for me, I rooted and installed a new recovery before being lumbered with a locked bootloader and I tried the Google Edition ROM - it was nothing to get excited about. It has less functionality and was no quicker. I don't think you are missing much.

Upvote 0
You should probably ask in the All Thing Root sub-forum but it may not be as bad as you think.

My understanding is that the eFuse is only blown if you downgrade from a security perspective. I wouldn't expect it to happen as a result of flashing an unbranded MH8 because that isn't any less secure although there did seem to be a lack of clarity over exactly what could cause it to be blown.

Check in the sub-forum where you will find people who know a lot more about this than I do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones