1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Non-standard power connector?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tlbj6142, May 16, 2011.

1. tlbj6142

tlbj6142 Member

I don't own an Atrix, yet, but while reading one of several reviews over the weekend I stumbled across this tidbit...

Is that true? None of the other reviews mentioned this? Does this mean you have to purchase a Moto car charger, etc.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. binaryhellstorm

binaryhellstorm Well-Known Member

I have not had any issues with the unit charging off non-Motorola chargers. I have successfully used a Blackberry charger and a generic 12 volt to dual USB charger, in my car ,with no issues.

tlbj6142 likes this.
  3. k00ey

k00ey Member

Not sure where you got that quote but it is false. I've tried many different micro chargers and have not had any problems.

tlbj6142 likes this.
  4. Raimond42

Raimond42 Newbie

I got my Atrix 2 weeks ago and have had problems charging it from both my Mac's, an iMac and a MacBook Pro. The wall charger included say's the output is 5.1 volts. I also got a car charger in a package deal from CostCo and it works fine. I did some experimenting and found that it will charge from both my PC's, one tower and a laptop and from both my iPhone AC adapters but not from another Motorola charger for my Bluetooth Jawbone that say's 5.0 volts.
    I tried connecting it to my MBPro via a powered USB hub and it would still not charge. I checked the voltage from this AC adapter and it say's 5.0 volts.
    It seams that the charging circuit is requiring 5.1 volts and is sensitive enough to reject anything as low as 5.0 volts.
    Hope this helps someone else...

5. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast

Wrong. I've been using a 5v 550mA charger since day one and it works fine. It's the charger that came with my Motorola BT S305 stereo headset.

6. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

The only problem I had with charging my Atrix is when it went completely dead. I couldn't use any USB (Laptop, XBOX, PS3, etc.) port to charge it. The output wasn't strong enough to kick it off. Had to use the wall charger to "Kick Start" the battery.

7. W00MBA

W00MBA Newbie

That's because USB ports on computers/consoles/etc have an output of 500mA. Most micro usb or AC->USB adapters are 1A, and the atrix has a 900mA battery. Because of the "juice" that the battery needs, a 500mA USB port is not going to charge the phone, but will keep the phone from dying [as fast]. I recommend a 2A charger (wall &| car) to charge faster.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews