1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Non-Vodafone Nexus S in Australia

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ryconn, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ryconn

ryconn Newbie
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Brisbane
    Is anyone using a Nexus S in Australia and not on the Vodafone network (and contract)?

I want to buy a new Nexus S outright (I'm not interested in contracts) and use it on Telstra's network. Is this possible?

Advertisement

2. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    what are the frequencies?

3. ryconn

ryconn Newbie
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Brisbane
    Telstra's? Or the Nexus S?

4. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    telestras

5. ryconn

ryconn Newbie
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Brisbane
    Source: Telstra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Well, the current Nexus S (which has 900/1700/2100 MHz 3G bands) will work on EDGE with Telstra, but things are a bit more complicated regarding 3G, since Telstra seems to be patched together by several networks.

In "capital cities" it should work on 3G, at least until next year when they terminate that partnership with Vodafone. After that, you'll be stuck on EDGE again.

Your best bet would probably be with an AT&T banded Nexus S (with 850/1900 MHz 3G bands). That ought to play nice with Telstra's 850MHz 3G network which covers "99% of the Australian population."

Note: Keep in mind that I really don't know how Telstra's network is setup. It's a very strange patch job they have going on.

7. ryconn

ryconn Newbie
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Brisbane
    I'm currently using a Galaxy S with Optus, in Brisbane (in the city) and the service (anything to to do with the internet, voice calling service has been fine) is atrociously bad. I've got friends who are with Telstra, using various smartphones (iPhone 4's, 3's, HTC Desire, and a few others) and they all seem to have lightning fast internet service compared to me (non wi-fi internet - which does not work on my Galaxy S anyhow). That said, I should probably try a Telstra SIM in my Galaxy S and compare the difference before rushing into that. But at the same time, I have very little love for Optus (I felt very ripped off with the Galaxy S, given the problems it has, and as I discovered, it's not Optus' problem - they are just the service providers) and I'd love to have the opportunity to tell them where to stick it, and any other service provider has got to be an improvement on them.

8. blueatria

blueatria Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I have a Nexus S on Optus. I bought it off eBay and it was new in it's original packaging. It works great on Optus. I have not tried on Telstra but I do have a sim so I might give it a go. The Nexus S is very nice hardware and gingerbread is not bad. I use the Nexus S as my main phone and as a mobile hotspot and all works very well subject to Optus coverage which can at times be a bit spotty. I am pretty happy with it.

Tags: