• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help non yakju: how long are the update delays

If you have a Verizon or Sprint GNex, it generally means delayed (though 4.1.2 is anyone's guess if they will bother). If you have a GSM phone from a non-US country, all bets are off. It seems like some people have posted their phones as still being officially on 4.0.2 from some carriers.

But as noted, you need to post some info about your phone. There are a lot of variations of the Galaxy Nexus.

Upvote 0
This is very true! There are different variations Nexus phones out there! If its a Yakjuxw, that's a Samsung controlled Nexus!! YIKES!!! When I first bought my Nexus off Ebay, I come to find out it was a Yakjuxw version and it was stuck on 4.0.2. I had to save my phone from the hands of Samsung. So I downloaded Wugfresh Galaxy Root Kit and flashed my phone to stock 4.1. Yakju Jellybean, at the time.

I can't believe those phones are still on 4.0.2. Anyways.. let us know what kind of Nexus it is.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys! The question was rather general and to see how badly I should return a non yakju phone...

is it a Takju phone? Cuz that gets updated by Google too.

Yakju(International version) and Takju(Google Play Store)

Download, Android System Info from market and find out what build you have.

If its not either one, and you dont want to root your phone and stuff, I guess take it back and get a Takju or Yakju Nexus

Upvote 0
As mentioned...
Yakju and takju get immediate updates directly from Google.
Toro gets updated about 2 months later by Verizon
Toro+ gets updated by Sprint, but there's no pattern yet as its not been out as long
All other variations... well they vary depending on carrier. Some update quickly and some never push updates.

If you want immediate updates you have 2 choices. Buy direct from Google or flash yours to yakju/takju. You can always lock and unroot after flashing if it makes you feel more secure.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys! The question was rather general and to see how badly I should return a non yakju phone...

If it is a GSM phone, I wouldn't return it. Instead, I'd just install yakju on the phone. It is a relatively easy procedure and, once completed, you will receive all updates direct from Google. There are no physical differences between GSM yakju/takju phones and the different variations (yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjuux, etc.).

Upvote 0
Ok, so the full story is:

I have a yakju edition from Amazon (Germany, unlocked). However, I think I have issues with the display: If the screen is white and I use landscape mode the area where usually the black bar on the top is becomes greenish.
So if I return it and get a new phone I am afraid they might give me a non-yakju one. But then I don't know if I could return this for a yakju phone again because it is what I originally had.

Upvote 0
Ok, so the full story is:

I have a yakju edition from Amazon (Germany, unlocked). However, I think I have issues with the display: If the screen is white and I use landscape mode the area where usually the black bar on the top is becomes greenish.
So if I return it and get a new phone I am afraid they might give me a non-yakju one. But then I don't know if I could return this for a yakju phone again because it is what I originally had.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always flash a non yakju GSM Nexus to yakju, and then re lock it again. And voila! It's a yakju device.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about it. You can always flash a non yakju GSM Nexus to yakju, and then re lock it again. And voila! It's a yakju device.

Agreed, as I said in my post above, it is easy to switch from yakjuxw to yakju using these instructions. As you say, once you've swapped the software version to yakju and locked it, it is as if it were always a yakju phone and you will get the updates direct from Google.

Upvote 0
But my warranty will be voided, right?

That isn't an easy question to answer; particularly since you will have a locked phone with an official version of Android. On one hand, I don't think it would typically be an issue -- the phone is locked with no rooting or custom mods. OTOH, you did change it from the Android version it was shipped with.

Ultimately, it would depend on the policies of your mobile service provider and, if not allowed, how strictly they enforce their policies. OTOH, you do apparently have the option to get a replacement phone for your yakju phone. It makes me wonder why they would replace your yakju phone now and not fix a yakju phone under warranty?

I know I have seen reports of other people, who had flashed their phone to yakju have no problem getting it serviced (though it was flashed back to yakjuxw). Unfortunately, it is not a guarantee that you won't have a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones