• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nonrooted tethering with a Powerbook G4?

WTF

Sep 11, 2010
Mile High City
I'm just wondering if anyone out there may know a good way to tether the DX to a Mac Powerbook G4 without rooting? PDAnet doesn't seem to work on PPC-based architecture and I can't afford to buy a new laptop right now. Either USB or Bluetooth would be fine. I'm wondering if it can be done without PDAnet at all, just configuring the proper info (especially in the G4).
:thinking:

Thanks!

P.S. It's a 17" 1.5Ghz G4 running OSX 10.5.8

The link worked but there was not much info on settings and so forth, which is really what I need. I can pair my DX to my Powerbook but I can't seem to get them to connect. A webpage with step-by-step instructions would be a Godsend. If I can figure it out myself I will post a guide to help others wanting to do this, but so far, no good...

Upvote 0
All I did was paired my Macbook with my X, then clicked the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, went down to Droid X, and selected Connect to Network.

Where is the Connect to network selection on the droid X? I don't see where to make that selection:(

EDIT: I found the connect to network from the BT pulldown menu on my Powerbook, but it still isn't connecting - I think something is still missing in the configuration somewhere. The DX pairs but doesn't connect...

Upvote 0
Try this. System Preferences, internet and wireless, sharing, tick the bluetooth sharing box. If that doesn't work, go to system preferences, bluetooth, click droid x, advanced, tick the share my internet connection with other bluetooth devices. This is the way mine is configured and like stated above all I have to do is turn off airport to disable wifi, then click the bluetooth icon up top, select droid x, connect to network.

Reactions: WTF
Upvote 0
Try this. System Preferences, internet and wireless, sharing, tick the bluetooth sharing box. If that doesn't work, go to system preferences, bluetooth, click droid x, advanced, tick the share my internet connection with other bluetooth devices. This is the way mine is configured and like stated above all I have to do is turn off airport to disable wifi, then click the bluetooth icon up top, select droid x, connect to network.

Thanks for the suggestions, but after doing both of the above I still can't connect. I get the pop-up that says "The Bluetooth network is unavailable" and goes on to say to check that bluetooth tethering is properly setup on my device. Are there certain settings that I need to specify for bluetooth on the DX? I have PDAnet loaded on it so I can tether to a PC laptop (and this works fine). I tried the above suggestions with PDAnet both on and off and got the same pop-up saying network is unavailable. Do you know of any other settings that need to be specified on either the Mac or DX? Also - since it sounds like it works fine for you, are you tethering your DX to a Powerbook G4? PDAnet will work fine with an Intel-powered Mac but not with the older powerpc Powerbooks which I am trying to make work here without PDAnet, just via the regular bluetooth radio.

Any additional help you may have would be very appreciated!

Upvote 0
i am covering for my sister at work right now and im using my 15 inch powerbook g4...i am rooted and try wifi tether here and there but its too slow so since i knew i was goona be working i tried pdanet last night and it worked and thats what im using right now to get online..i just installed pdanet on my phone then clicked bluetooth DUN and then on my powerbook went to bluetooth and clicked set up bluetooth device and let it run through the setup it found the droidx right away...then i had to pair it with a pin....now each time i wanna connect it i just start pdanet bluetooth DUN and then click the bluetooth in my status bar and mouse over where it says droid x and click connect to network....then the "droidx" turns bold and im connected

Upvote 0
Apple and DX crazy Combo.

Yes, but after trying lots of things, modifying settings and looking all over the web I have finally been able to get my DX and my PPC Powerbook G4 to work together and I can now surf the web, check email, etc! (And do it in a repeatable fashion - I've rebooted either the DX, my G4 and both several times to make sure and the connection has always returned within a few seconds - yeah!)

I just hope there are no more technical surprises.:eek:

Note: This post will probably be a long one, but I want to capture all the info I've gone through so that it might help someone in a similar bind - and if I need to I can look up what I did to restore my connection as well...here goes-

I tried making the changes per the above suggestions (thanks posters), but I was still having problems with a stable connection. Under System Preferences/Network I was creating all kinds of settings but I only connected twice, once via the "Bluetooth Pan" interface and once via a "DXModem" interface I created. The irritating thing is that I couldn't reconnect to the internet once I closed it and immediately reopened it. I would end up deleting the bluetooth profile for my DX and re-pairing and then spend 30 minutes goofing around with settings in bluetooth and network, and as stated above only got a connection twice with different connection interfaces under the System Preferences/Network screen. Mostly I would get a popup that said things like "cannot find harware/hardware not connected", "there's been an error with Modem - check settings", "could not open up an RFCONN port" (or something like that), etc.

Urgh!:mad:

After doing some lengthy looking around in cyberspace I came across the following post at Droidforums.net:

Run PDAnet on your phone and select "enable bluetooth DUN". Select yes to "bluetooth permission request".

Click on the bluetooth emblem in the top bar of your mac. Select setup bluetooth device.

Click continue. Select "Mobile phone" and hit continue.

When it finds your device select it and hit continue.

When it's done gathering info hit continue.

A number will come up that you have to type into your phone, do this now and hit "OK".

Go back to your Mac and make sure that "Access the internet..." and "Use device as a network port" are both checked. Click continue.

On the next screen, your settings should be as follows:
Phone Vendor: Generic
Phone Model: Dialup Device
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Phone Number: 123

Now click continue.

Click on your bluetooth icon in the top bar of your mac and put your cursor on the device, go to the drop down and select "connect to network". Voila! Internet access!
icon_%20banana.gif
Easy Peasy!

This whole process needs to be done relatively quickly to work properly. Not insanely fast, just don't step out for a nooner in the middle of it.
icon_%20nono.gif

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

I followed the above exactly and guess what - it still didn't work (initially). The final step per the above instructions clicking the "connect to network" in the bluetooth pulldown menu just gave me the same error popups. Rather than doing this last step, this is how I got it to work:

Under System Preferences/Network I created a new Bluetooth interface (my G4 automatically gave it a Service Name of "Bluetooth 2"). Here are the settings:

Configuration: Default
Telephone Number: 123
Account Name: <blank>
Password: <blank>

If you click on the "Advanced" button these are the "Modem" tab settings I have:

Vendor: Generic
Model: Dialup Device
check "Enable error correction and compression in modem"
Dial Mode: Wait for dial tone before dialing
Dialing: Tone
Sound: On

Once all these settings are done, I connect like this:

1. Turn off/deactivate PDAnet on my Powerbook G4.
2. Turn ON PDAnet on the Droid X and hit the "Enable Bluetooth DUN" button.
3. The Bluetooth permission request box will come up - hit "Yes"
4. On the G4 MODEM dropdown menu, I select "Connect Bluetooth 2" and it connects within a few seconds. One thing to note: The bluetooth icon on my DX stays white - it doesn't turn blue but the connection works fine.

I'm seeing about a half Meg down/quarter Meg upload speeds per Speedtest.net, enough to do what I need to do and I'm happy with that (for now)...

That's it!:D:D:D

BTW, My Mac is a few years old, a 17" Powerbook G4 running a 1.5Ghz PPC processor. PDAnet doesn't support the non-intel Mac architecture so it won't make either a tethered or Bluetooth connection using the PDAnet program on the Mac end (but it seems to work fine on the DX side as per above - weird :thinking: )

And Thanks go out to ManifestDestiny, who posted the above instructions on Droidforums.net

I hope this helps anyone out there who has been having similar problems. Also apologies for such a long post. I've only had my DX for 3 days so I am still very new to Android.

One last note - I'm posting this using my DX bluetooth connection...

Reactions: beerhound
Upvote 0
Powerbook G4... Non-rooted Droid 3. USB Tethering and Wifi Hotspot!

Easytether on Market works on non-rooted Droid.

XDA Radio hack enables Wifi Hotspot and masks data to look like it is coming from phone. (has to be performed on PC)

Playing Modern Warfare 3 off Droid 3 Wifi Hotspot with Nat Type 2...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones