• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nonsensikal v16.1 FINAL RELEASE Out

this phone sucks.. ive spent a year of tweaks and headaches.. im trading it in!

I liked the Eris well enough when I got it Jan, 2010. It was running v1.6 then. Once we finally got the OTA update to 2.1 I was elated! But quickly my joy disappeared as my phone was super buggy and very laggy. By the end of the summer, I was checking forums to see what I could do. Not being familiar with lines of code and rooting, I was terrified to try for fear of bricking my phone. Finally, I got up the courage to try once the one-click method was introduced. It took a couple months of me really playing with the phone and various ROMs, but I have to say that now I love my little Eris. I cannot get my "New Every Two" until Sept. Until then, I am unwilling to fork over big bucks for a phone which is scheduled to see EOL in March. By the second half 2011, Verizon's LTE phones will be in full swing and HTC will have released their line of LTE phones. Even If I never make it to Gingerbread, it's worth it to me to wait. Incredible, Droid X, Droid2 are all seeing EOL dates in March, 2011. There's no point in upgrading now.

Maybe try to find a ROM that works for you until spring when you can get your hands on the next gen Android phones.

Of course the Verizon rep would tell you that - their job is to sell phones and services.

Upvote 0
No, I'm actually not up for a phone for a year.. she was just really nice and we hit it off chatting. Then I told her about this: https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/Home.aspx and she was like "uh, I shouldn't really be saying this.. but .. you should jump on that!"

Ive had the same troubles as you. This phone is just a smidge too slow for the OS.

Well good luck whatever you decide. I would just hate to see you use your discount before the great new phones come out. There are some really nice Verizon reps out there. This is my 3rd Eris - had it replaced due to some hardware issues (mainly trackball). As long is this one is working, I'm sticking with it until Sept (Cuz I'm that cheap!). LOL! Also, Punk Kaos is working on Gingerbread for our little Eris. So I'm hoping that will be something to look forward to until my New Every Two.

**I don't know that the trade in would eat up your N.E.T. - if it does not, $132 towards a new phone is good, but you've gotta consider that they would likely charge you $500 for the phone if you cannot use a discount.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, perhaps do something like this:

install ADW, just to have a replacement launcher
use something like Titanium or Root Explorer to uninstall LP from the ROM
reinstall LP from the market, rather than have it go into /system

See if that's any better?

Thanks for the suggestion... I decided to give TazzFroyo a try, and the latest version (v24) works as far as the gmail unread count. I'm going to stick with Tazz unless i find something that doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Can you install setcpu on nonsensikal? Is it reliable? I have a new super battery coming in the mail today and I figure overclocking couldn't hurt.

You can, but Nonsensikal is actually overclocked by default to 710 MHz, so you would not need it unless you wanted to go faster, or wanted some more fine control over the overclocking process.

Upvote 0
Having a few issues with nonsensikal 16.1. When I reboot or restart LP all of my downloaded widgets disappear and the only way to get them back is to uninstall and reinstall the app, really annoying am I doing something wrong? other then this little hiccup 16.1 is super fast and smooth, I'm getting a linpack of 5.6mflops @ 806.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones