• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nonsensikal v16.1 FINAL RELEASE Out

I have v12.5 and I can't find the voice dialer app. Is there a way to get it back? I don't seem to be able to find it in any of the app listings.

It's part of HTC_mod keyboard in 16.1. I'm just curious if it's safe since the warning pops up.

Scratch that. Don't know if you can dial with it. It's voice to text feature built into keyboard.

Upvote 0
So I went to add the HTC_IME mod keyboard that comes with this ROM and it says "This input method may be able to collect all the text you type incl passwords and credit card numbers. It comes from the app HTC_IME mod.

I'm assuming this is safe?

I do assume so. The Swiftkey keyboard gives that warning as well. Recall that both keyboards store data entry that you make in an internal dictionary, for the purposes of error correction. That includes passwords and credit card numbers.

I am hoping that's what this warning means.

For what it's worth, this is what Swiftkey says about that warning:

No, we take privacy very seriously and SwiftKey does not collect any personal data or log your conversations.

The warning message that says SwiftKey may be able to collect 'all the text you type, including personal data like passwords and credit card numbers'

Reactions: reisb
Upvote 0
Also, I just noticed my voice to text isn't working with the HTC keyboard in this ROM. When I press the microphone key, the pop up comes up, but only the mic with a line through it shows. I speak into the phone, but nothing writes or anything. Is there a file I need to flash to get it to work? Maybe something is missing? Or do I need to install something from the market?

Edit: Nevermind, its working now. It just started working randomly. Weird.

Upvote 0
Starting to panic here -- I've been running Nonsensikal Black V4.4 and really liking it. But I had issues with a couple of my apps not being readable with the black theme. I decided to flash the final, vanilla, version. After wiping everything -- and I mean everything -- I got a message that the install was aborted because the file was bad. Tried again. Then, stupidly, tried to reboot and now the phone is stuck on the skating androids screen and...well, now what? Can I get back somehow to the older rom? I can't figure out how to get back to the point where I can restore all my lovely backups.

Upvote 0
Pull the battery. You should be able to restart the phone from recovery the way that you always do (most people hold VolUp while powering on until Amon's Recovery starts), and from there you can run a Nandroid Restore from the Backup/Restore menu.

I hope that you did a Nandroid backup first?

Upvote 0
Starting to panic here -- I've been running Nonsensikal Black V4.4 and really liking it. But I had issues with a couple of my apps not being readable with the black theme. I decided to flash the final, vanilla, version. After wiping everything -- and I mean everything -- I got a message that the install was aborted because the file was bad. Tried again. Then, stupidly, tried to reboot and now the phone is stuck on the skating androids screen and...well, now what? Can I get back somehow to the older rom? I can't figure out how to get back to the point where I can restore all my lovely backups.

Ok now I can assume some things, but we know where that can lead so lets start with the basics.
1. Are you able to get to recovery? If you are then, did you make a nandroid backup?
2. If you didn't make a nand backupdo you still have the black v4.4 on your sdcard. You say you wiped everything, so did you do a partition? If you did then the answer is no, on question 2.
3. Don't panic to much this can be fixed. You will need a micro sdcard reader, the usb version, or you will need to by a cheap micro sdcard to get the larger card that can be put in your computer. Just make sure what your computer will accept, some don't take the card.
4. Once you get the reader, just delete the zip and install a new one, go to recovery and flash a new rom. All better.:D

Upvote 0
3. Don't panic to much this can be fixed. You will need a micro sdcard reader, the usb version, or you will need to by a cheap micro sdcard to get the larger card that can be put in your computer. Just make sure what your computer will accept, some don't take the card.

Actually, though this is great to have in your toolkit, as long as Amon's Recovery is running and the trackball works (or you replaced with Scary's Amon's Recovery that doesn't need the trackball), the second item on the menu in Recovery is a USB toggle. Hit that (after cabling the phone to the computer) and it will mount the SD card to the PC, so you can drag and drop files from there.

When you are done you should "eject" the SD card external drive and then hit the trackball on the phone to dismount the SD card from the computer and return to Amon's Recovery.

Reactions: kobel1up
Upvote 0
Actually, the SD card is fine, all those files intact. I did do a Nandroid backup (and clockwork and Titanium and every other backup I could think of 'cause that's how I roll).
I'm able to get into HBOOT, FASTBOOT and as far as the Recovery screen; and there it all comes to a halt because the trackball is not responding. Have to pull the battery to power down from there.

Thinking I may have flash the phone back to stock from the pc and then re-root. I'd like to find an easier way, especially since this brings me into previously unexplored territory and the new possibilities for f****ups are a bit alarming.

Oh and for accuracy's sake, it's "she".

Upvote 0
*I* haven't had any luck getting Dialer One to add a speed dial. There is a speed dial option, but if you try to set up someone new it tells you to set up speed dial in the contacts apps. However I was never able to find that setting in Contacts on NonSensikal.
So for those two people that I call regularly I just put a call widget on the home screen - problem solved. ;)

Upvote 0
OK, so wifey is ready for upgrade...LOL.

Nonsensikal to one of the GB ROMs. Gingershedbred?

What do I need to do?

Just nand backup, wipe data and dalvik, flash rom, flash gapps package? That's it.
No new radios, no new cwm?

Think I read to NOT format SD card even though directions say to do it?

Upvote 0

What do I need to do?

Just nand backup, wipe data and dalvik, flash rom, flash gapps package? That's it.

I haven't used Tazz yet, but GSB is working fine, and I understand that Tazz has all of his problems worked out.

Yes on those steps - radio should be fine, I'm not sure what CWM is?

Formatting the SD card? It would be fine to do so, but the question is has your wife used apps2sd on Nonsensikal? If so, you may want to move all of the apps back to internal storage before you flash. Or you can wipe .android_secure from the SD card. Or you can format. Or you can just try to flash and, if you start having issues, then do one of those things.

Upvote 0
OK, so wifey is ready for upgrade...LOL.

What do I need to do?

You got it.:) Do not format the sd card.:eek:

Upvote 0
Ok, some questions. Does this new rom still have the notification in the track ball? On 12.5 my biggest problem was the screen would go black during a call, it won't turn on for anything unless I hit the end button. Very annoying. Ready to get back to 2.2, just want the creen thing back to normal.

It can. After you install your apps, settings->CyanogenMod settings->Interface->LED Notifications. Go to Miscellaneous (I think), and change any apps for which you want trackball notifies to the color white.

Still ok to titanium backup apps right? Just making sure since I've mainly been installing on my Fascinate and not Eris.

Sure, just be careful with system apps and data, like SMS, MMS, etc.

Upvote 0
OK, so I installed GSB and restored my apps.

Ran quadrant std and got 316.... I swear when I ran nonsensikal 16.1, I got 400+.

Shouldn't GSB be faster? If not, why upgrade?

I personally think that these benchmarks aren't worth much. Also, this is vey early in GB development.

That said, if I am not mistaken, JIT is turned off by default in GSB. I'd turn it on, and probably compcache, and see if Quadrant scores are better.

Settings->CyanogenMod settings->Performance. As it says, reboot after making changes.

Upvote 0
I ran Nonsensikal for about 3 weeks, and it was also the first ROM I've run on my Eris. Like having the newer features, improved GMail client, etc. But it seemed to run a little more sluggish than when I was on stock Eclair. Especially annoying was the lag between hitting PWR to wake the phone and when the screen would turn on.

Switched to GingerShedBread 1.6 tonight and I'm liking it so far. I do miss the battery icon, however.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones