1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Noob being over anxious...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Maxib, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Maxib

Maxib Newbie

Hi all,

just got my first android (nexus s) and downloaded the doubletwist app. I was a bit concerned about the amount of sensitive data it seemed to be wanting, but went ahead for the ease of sync. It seemed to be highly regarded everywhere I read.

But now I'm starting to get a little anxious about it. I tried emailing question on their website, got a VERY techhie reply which I didnt really understand and no further help.

I know I'm probably being a bit paranoid:eek:, but after reading the great post on the FAQ section on this, I'm left wondering why exactly a music app needs to have access to my emails, phone numbers, ability to call who I have called, sensitive log data etc?

Could anyone please ease my mind?! Thanks for any help!!:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Considering a lot of people on here use that app, I'm SURE the app dev's arent stealing your emails or phone numbers.

3. Maxib

Maxib Newbie

Yeah thanks. I know loads of people use it, its got a nice website etc, but still wondering why they would need this info for a music playback app? If I understand the reasons, I'd be happier downloading other ones with the same permissions.

4. Stupifier

Stupifier Android Enthusiast

Maybe there is a good explanation in the reply you got from the developer. Please post their response here and someone can explain it to you.

Here are the permissions DoubleTwists says it needs. I added a little note below each one to give an explanation why a music app might need such permission.

Network communication
    full Internet access, view Wi-Fi state, view network state
    explanation-needs overall network access in order to use Radio and wireless sync stuff.

Your accounts
    discover known accounts, use the authentication credentials of an account
    explanation-maybe something to do with your account linked to your music.

Storage
    modify/delete SD card contents
    explanation-In case you want to delete a song you have in the app...it needs permission to do so.

Phone calls
    read phone state and identity
    explanation-many music apps auto-pause when you receive a call. DoubleTwist needs permission to see if someone is calling you.

System tools
    modify global system settings, display system-level alerts, prevent phone from sleeping, mount and unmount filesystems, read system log files, automatically start at boot, disable keylock
    explanataion-volume type settings, being able to read files, etc.

The permissions look like a lot of stuff....but in reality....the more complex these apps become...the more permissions they are gonna need. You have to really think it through.

5. Maxib

Maxib Newbie

Thanks, Stupifier! I did warn I was new to all this stuff and not particularly tech savvy but that already makes a lot more sense to me now - cheers! This is what the guy replied:

"You'll find more detailed descriptions of the various permissions on Google's new Android Market website (click on Permissions): http://market.android.com/details?id=...

Log data: Android swallows certain exceptions (bad Google!) and writes an entry to the log. Reading the log is the only way for us to determine if the exception occurred.

Credentials: Google's longer description for this is "Allows an application to request authentication tokens." Note the 'request' part. It's only a permission to request credentials at a later stage (Android will prompt you to grant specific access later).

Note that Android will only auto-update an app if the permissions haven't changed. This leads developers to request permissions today they may want to use in the future (since adding them at a later stage would disable auto-update for that update)."

Don't have a clue about any of that...

6. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast

About the same permissions that Audiogalaxy asks for. If you have tons of music on your system its worth looking at. I store maybe 2 albums max on my device and stream or use cloud storage for the rest.

Maxib likes this.