• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noob Confusining Myself

Twidget

Apr 24, 2010
ok I'm pretty much confused here, If i root to 2.1v3 from new phone, is that the base and you add things like Aloysis, or sensable ROMs? or do you go staight to them? what makes matter more are the steps in the sticky in the HTC Droid Eris area seem quick and straight forward, and no mention to using SDK or USB drivers, or writing command lines of which I'm not sure where to find on the phone. and lastly if i root, when the update from verizon is launched will it overwrite the root?

ok I'm pretty much confused here, If i root to 2.1v3 from new phone, is that the base and you add things like Aloysis, or sensable ROMs? or do you go staight to them? what makes matter more are the steps in the sticky in the HTC Droid Eris area seem quick and straight forward, and no mention to using SDK or USB drivers, or writing command lines of which I'm not sure where to find on the phone. and lastly if i root, when the update from verizon is launched will it overwrite the root?

No, when people refer to 2.1v3 as a base, they are referring to developers, who can base new ROMs off the new leak kernal. You flash directly to Aloysis, Sense-able, and any other ROM based on 2.1.

If you follow the steps on the sticky and used Grdlock's all-in-one script, you will not have to type any code. That's what I used and it didn't take long at all. it was very simple to understand.

Yes, the OTA update will disable root. It is for this reason that most if not all ROMs have OTA updates disabled.

Hope this helps and good luck rooting. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones