• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noob contact sync question....

brettd03

Jul 16, 2010
Love the phone, and love the helpful community. Droid Incredible.

Am I missing something on the sync with gmail contacts? I want to be able to add a contact on the phone, if I am out and not near a pc...then have it be on my gmail contacts on the pc when i get home.

I tried it the other night, and it wasnt there...noob question, i know, but what am i missing here?

Dont care about facebook, etc...just regular contacts.

TIA

When you add a contact on either phone or computer, the contacts are sync instantly. What I have found is that sometimes adding a contact via phone that they are labeled differently in Gmail as stared on Android.
Ensure the number of My Contacts and All Contacts are the same. If not, click on All Contacts, find the contact you added and is missing from My Contacts, then click Move to My Contacts.
They should all appear now in Gmail. Welcome to forum!

Upvote 0
When you add a contact on either phone or computer, the contacts are sync instantly. What I have found is that sometimes adding a contact via phone that they are labeled differently in Gmail as stared on Android.
Ensure the number of My Contacts and All Contacts are the same. If not, click on All Contacts, find the contact you added and is missing from My Contacts, then click Move to My Contacts.
They should all appear now in Gmail.

This is fine if you create it as a Google contact, but let's be clear that a Phone contact will not auto sync with Google. I had to go back and redo a lot of my contacts because of this.

Upvote 0
This is fine if you create it as a Google contact, but let's be clear that a Phone contact will not auto sync with Google. I had to go back and redo a lot of my contacts because of this.
WOW, u don't have to be argumentative & if I was a moderator I would think your reply is borderline on violation of zero tolerance policy. OK. Maybe I should have been clearer and exact in my answer to help. For me, I have all of my contacts as Google contacts by default...I don't use phone contacts; therefore they sync automatically and if one is missing in my Gmail, then the steps I noted fixes the issue for me.

Upvote 0
WOW, u don't have to be argumentative & if I was a moderator I would think your reply is borderline on violation of zero tolerance policy. OK. Maybe I should have been clearer and exact in my answer to help. For me, I have all of my contacts as Google contacts by default...I don't use phone contacts; therefore they sync automatically and if one is missing in my Gmail, then the steps I noted fixes the issue for me.

Who is argumentative? I was adding to your post, more or less. I was preventing confusion for the OP since you didn't acknowledge that there is a difference between phone contacts (the default type) and Google contacts. Sounds like you're being a bit defensive, but I wasn't saying you are wrong. :thinking:

And for the record, I am a moderator on multiple forums with at least 500 regular daily users. If you can point out where I was argumentative, I would be curious to see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones