• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noob Extended controls and Mobile Network question

1+9+8+7

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Ok, so...

As you will all know, holding down the power button on the top of the desire brings up the 'Phone options' box. In here there is the 'Mobile Network' option to turn the mobile netwrok on or off.

I wanted to place a widget on my home screen which was a shortcut to this, a simple press turning the Mobile Network (internet connection) on or off.

I am using extended controls and thought the 'Data Network' option to enable/disable the APN would do this, but it seems it doesnt? What exactly does enabling/disabling the APN do?

Ok I feel very silly, it would appear that the 'Mobile Network' needs to be on in order for it to work, however when you do disable it using extended controls it still says in phone options it is on? Does that make any difference? Also, will this (disabling the APN) cause any problems when receiving MMS?

Upvote 0
Not sure if its the case with extended controls but when most of these apps disable the APN what they actually do is slightly change the settings so that the connection no longer works, so as far as the phone is concerned Mobile Data is still enabled but it just cant connect to the net.

With regards to your MMS question it would depend on:

a) if you have separate APN settings for data & MMS (3UK have now moved to a shared APN so I would think it will disable both)

b) exactly which APN(s) extended controls disables

Upvote 0
does leaving the mobile data enabled caused battery drained even if it is not connected?

Sorry for resurrecting an old question, but I'd like to know this as well.

I come from an old windows mobile background. The phones I had always showed a 'G' (GPRS), '3G', 'H' (HDSPA) in the top status bar to show the 'quality/speed' of the mobile network available. Then, when you used an app (such as email) OR internet (which uses the mobile network), these symbols would flash to show the mobile network is being used.

I did not have to enable/turn on 'mobile network' - All I had to do is simply click on an app/internet and it would automatically connect using the 'mobile network'.

Now, with my Desire I use the HTC Sense 'Mobile Network' widget to switch on mobile network. And, only then, does a G, 3G or H symbol come up.

To repeat the above question, does leaving Mobile Data/Mobile Network on affect the battery in anyway if I am not using it?

I went into 2 phone stores and one salesman said 'no', and the other said it would use the battery a little.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones