1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Noob - How to copy songs to my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toddhd, Oct 10, 2011.

1. toddhd

toddhd Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi everyone - I just bought a Galaxy IIS, and so far I am enjoying it, got one for my wife as well.

Before we ditched our old iPhones, we copied off all our music files. Now I need to get those on my Samsung.

When I asked my friends, they told me to just "root" my phone, create a music directory and start copying. I'm not sure I want to root the phones, and it doesn't seem to allow me to do that without rooting.

I did find a program called DoubleTwist that sort of works like an iTunes clone in terms of synching content, but so far it's been a little flaky, and tends to miss or drop files without any reason or warning. It is also painfully slow.

Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to manage my music/video/picture files on the Samsung?

Advertisement

2. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Your friends are half right; you need to create a music folder but you don't need to root your phone.

Mount your phone as a drive on your PC.. this should happen automatically when you connect it via USB.. then go into windows explorer, go to my computer, browse into the phone, then create a "Music" folder and copy all of your songs into that folder.

toddhd likes this.
  3. toddhd

toddhd Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Thank you! You know what? For whatever reason, the first time I tried to do this, it wouldn't let me. I couldn't see any of the folders on the phone at all. I figured that was because it wasn't rooted. This time when I connected, my showed my a screen that said something like "Connect via USB" and when I did, everything showed up like it should. Well now THAT's easier! :)

4. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Yeah the USB connection was a little sketchy for me at first. Seemed to work itself out after a couple of attempts.

5. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    I think you need to be out of kies, maybe that was reason. Also if you turn on usb debugging in application settings, you can access usb mode at lot easier when cable is connected.

toddhd likes this.
  6. toddhd

toddhd Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks. Both of those are good points. I turned on USB debugging later (I think it was double-twist that suggested that as part of their setup) and I may well have been in kies at the time. Still trying to figure this thing out....

7. daz_2000

None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
  8. daz_2000

None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    If you use itunes, then you should definetly use isyncr, I use that to wirelessly transfer music from itunes to phone. Its a few quid but works well.

9. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

if ur not interested in transferring itunes playlists but simply want ur entire itunes library dumped and synced with ur phone, try itunes agent, its a good free alternative to transfer music from itunes to ur SGS2 :) its wat im using, works great.. and ur music is then available on any music player u want on ur phone.. doubletwist, stock, poweramp.. ur choice :D

10. NitinS

NitinS Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2011
    Do I need an xd card in the phone to be able to copy mp3s over to the phone? I connected the S2 to my windows xp laptop, it displayed all the folders on the phone but did not allow me to write anything on the phone. Could not copy any songs over. Please advice.

11. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    You should be able to transfer via a the USB connect if you are doing it right. Don't need a microSD card. Maybe you can explain what you did

12. bertt

bertt Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    I, too, can't see the phone directories from my pc to my phone. Samsung galaxy SII. Kies can see my phone info on my PC but I still can not see my phone from my PC can you help

13. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    When you plug the phone into windows, an icon should appear in the system tray about installing drivers. Click on this icon and see the status of the driver install. If for some reason the drivers failed to install you might need to do it manually.

14. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Have you tried connecting via USB utilities?

Go to Settings/Wireless & Network/USB Utilities

Tap on icon to connect USB mass storage and then connect the USB cable. Don't need Kies to do this. Phone works like a thumbdrive meaning you can move, copy, create etc. folders and stuff....