1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Noob in need of help!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thisberob, Dec 18, 2010.

1. thisberob

thisberob Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Hi all

So I rooted my EVO last night with unrevoked and I have a few questions. I've searched for answers but after about 30 threads and hundreds of posts...only a few of my questions were answered.

1. I want to wifi tether. This is one of the main reasons why I rooted in the first place. Which app do I download and from where? If I need to pay, are there any free versions?

2. I downloaded a free version of TitaniumBackup and I uninstalled a bunch of bloatware but they're still popping up under all apps. What gives? Also, does the pro version have a free download? Or, if there is a better alternative, let me know! :D

3. Really confused about the whole ROM thing. I have a super vague understanding that it's sort of like a custom layout with different types of installed apps and that you need to "flash" it with a program to basically put it on your phone. If there a source on this site where they keep all the ROMS where I can browse and what not?

Anyway, I haven't messed with phones and their software since the days of Nextel themes and ringtones (years ago!)

Sorry for the long post but I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

Happy Holidays!

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    1) This is the wifi tether you app that everyone uses:

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

I believe pre 15 is the current version. You can find it in the market too, but it is an older version that doesn't work well. Some people also are able to use sprint hotspot in various roms where it has been unlocked. If you want to use 4g, though, and just avoid a hassle, use the above link.

2) Did you reboot the phone? Also, it's generally safer to freeze apps instead of uninstalling them. If you uninstall something you shouldn't have, and didn't make a backup, it can make things difficult. Did you at least make a nandroid backup first? Titanium backup is the best out there for what it does. If you want the pro version, just pay for it.

3) Read this post for comprehensive instructions on how to flash roms:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

Custom roms are basically stock images that developers then modify with their own custom mods. This can involve theming, removing bloatware, even different kernels, etc. Just read the description given for each custom rom to see what's been changed. Here's a list of pretty much every rom for the evo:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

Just remember, make a nandroid backup before messing with anything, especially flashing new roms.

3. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest
    None
    The pro version of Titanium Backup is a paid app thus cannot be downloaded for free or else it would be considered piracy.

cookie_monster likes this.
  4. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Myn's Warm Rom will also let you use the sprint hotspot app, great rom

5. thisberob

thisberob Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks for the reply guys. I got the wireless tether app to work from the above link. The latest released version allowed me to get 4g speeds. =D

I did reboot the phone and all the apps come back after the reboot. Before I rebooted it said that I deleted the apps but after, it's back to the same original number. Maybe I'm running an older version?

I also wanted to know if we can get free games like jailbroken iPhone users?

6. jersey221

jersey221 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Washington
    if thats what you want you shouldnt root.pay for apps you use so the devs get paid for time and effort.

wrapkgb likes this.
Tags: