• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NOOB NEED HELP stock kernal attempt

adamantine

Nov 5, 2011
my friend tried to root my epic 4g touch and he ended up putting the wrong kernel on the device-(GT-I9100_BGKF5_insecure) is what he told me he put on it. i dont know alot about rooting or the inner workings of the android platform. all i know is i have a? $800 paperweight and sprint is charging me $90 a month for service for my nonexistant phone.:mad:

MY PHONE IS ROOTED- but shortly after, my home and menu keys stopped working entirely. now it just takes me to the system recovery screen whenever i power on.

***For safe measure here is what my screen reads:

android system recovery <3e>

Enter: OK Key, Select : Vol UP / Vol Down
*reboot system now
*apply update from sdcard
*wipe data/factory reset
*wipe cache partition

-- Copying media files...
Successfully copied meida files.

# MANUAL MODE #

-- updating application...
Successfully updated application.

--Appling Multi-CSC...
Successfully applied multi-CSC

ok so basically i can scroll up and down but i cant select any options.

i am wondering if i can just "put on" (im an idiot) the stock kernel for my epic 4g touch. will that solve all my problems? Will all my data be erased? what about my sd card? OH AND I PROLLY WONT BE ROOTED AFTER THE STOCK KERNEL ISTALL, RIGHT? stupid, but id just like to be sure.

will it fix MY BUTTONS?? (which im guessing.. and really hoping that it is because of the kernel) :thinking:

im thinking about using this: Samsung Epic 4G Touch - RootzWiki

but im scared i could **** the thing up further and COMPLETELY brick my phone.. so if anyone out there would be willing to give this desperate noob some help, id be forever grateful :D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones