1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Noob! Need help with porting a windows game if possible

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by sustantivo, Jan 8, 2012.

1. sustantivo

sustantivo Lurker
    None

Ok, So I've want to port a game from windows , it's an xbox1 game too, to android, obviously for more high end devices but It will work , I need help actually somehow making the apk work , but yeah . I've been developing s60v5 all my life and am new to android

Advertisement

2. jiminaus

jiminaus Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I would help you, but you can't seem to decide if you're an Aussie or a Kiwi!!!! :p

I'm assuming a) you have the source code to the game, and b) you have the rights to the game.

If the game uses a game engine that's been ported to Android, this may be feasible.

If it's using it's own game engine that's been implemented with Microsoft technologies (like DirectX), then it will require a full port. How much needs to be re-written will depend on how well the game was originally structured.

If you're in the this second situation, I would say that the time and effort to learning Android game development and the time and effort to port the game would probably equal about the time it took to develop the original game.

Also if you're in the this second situation, now might be time to move to a cross-platform game engine. Then you can port your game to other platforms as well, including the iPhone.

Also don't forget to redesign your gameplay experience. No controller. No keyboard. Touch screen.

3. sustantivo

sustantivo Lurker
    None

I haven't got the source code for the game, but the games copyrights died a very long time ago . It's a game developed by microsoft if that helps hahaha , it was originally on the first xbox but is now on pc too , and btw i'm a kiwi ;) living in aussy , i don't wanna blurt out the game because if it's a good idea someone better could steal it , but i hope it's possible . Pm me and i'll hare my ideas :)

4. Lemoncog

Lemoncog Newbie
    None

This may or may not be helpful but I ported a game from XNA to Android quickly using libgdx as that was developed with XNA as a reference.