• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NOOB needs help with ROM!

Download Gparted (google it) Burn the ISO to a CD and reboot the PC to boot from the CD. This should run Gparted (think you need a PS2 keyboard not USB, but can't remember TBH) Then partition the card to how the rom you've chosen recommends. Some need EXT3 partition before FAT32, some after. There is a graphical bar representing your SD card so you can see what's happening.

I can honestly say take the time to read the info in SUroots signature. He helped me with my first root and rom, and so many others on here. The information you need is all on there. If you hit terminology etc you don't understand come back and ask.

Upvote 0
Download Gparted (google it) Burn the ISO to a CD and reboot the PC to boot from the CD. This should run Gparted (think you need a PS2 keyboard not USB, but can't remember TBH) Then partition the card to how the rom you've chosen recommends. Some need EXT3 partition before FAT32, some after. There is a graphical bar representing your SD card so you can see what's happening.

I can honestly say take the time to read the info in SUroots signature. He helped me with my first root and rom, and so many others on here. The information you need is all on there. If you hit terminology etc you don't understand come back and ask.

So it's something I have to do from my PC, not my phone? I read over the how-to, but I'm not sure how you reboot your PC from a CD?

Thanks all for the help.

Upvote 0
Yes you run it from the PC. PC's have an option as to which device gets booted first, usually the hard disk. Change it to CD. How you do it depends on PC. Either go into the BIOS and change the boot order to put CD first or look for a message as the machine loads (before it gets to windows loading) It should say something like F8 boot menu - you can then select the CD drive from there. The GParted ISO you download and burn creates a bootable CD.

Upvote 0
Another question I didn't see addressed in any guides is you said I couldn't run the recommended ROMS because I have a CDMA card and flashing GSM roms. What type of SD card do I need to run the ROMS everyone's been suggesting? Can I just run out and buy the appropriate card for those roms? Are they readily available? Would the right card say GSM somewhere on it, or what am I looking for in a new card?

Upvote 0
That's odd... I didn't do a partitian, but I can still choose the "Move to SD card" option in my manage apps page. I've already downloaded triple the apps I could have before.

In any event, thanks to all of you for the help and putting up with my ignorance - I make a living as a news reporter, so I've gotten good at asking annoying questions ;)

Thats nothing to do with the partition. Please, please Please read the a2sd FAQ I pointed you to earlier. It is ALL explained.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones