1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Noob question about rooting, android 2.2 v. 2.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ctts, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ctts

ctts Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Android Noob here...just upgraded my HTC Touch Pro 2 to EVO Shift 4G. It shipped with Froyo but I downloaded the OTA Gingerbread update.

Thinking about rooting my phone and have been reading about it, but need to read more before attempting the process. I'm sure these questions have been answered, but having a hard time finding the answers...

Not sure if I am understanding correctly...is permanent rooting available for Froyo, but not for Gingerbread? If it is possible to figure out how go back to Froyo, should I do it to permanent root?

Along that line, I'm confused on another point about rooting, ROMs and Android... If I root, does my phone still run Android (whether its Froyo or Gingerbread)? Or another way of asking this, if I root and run a custom ROM, does the phone still run Android (in a modified form) or is it considered no longer to be running Android (i.e. is Android replaced by the custom ROM)?

Last question (sorry so many)...If I go back to Froyo and permanent root, and later permanent root becomes available for Gingerbread, is it possible then to update to Gingerbread and permanent root for Gingerbread?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. crump

crump Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Alabama
    As of right now there is no permanent root if your running Gingerbread, only if your still on Froyo. If you accepted the update and are running Gingerbread your going to have to wait for a new root method to be found, there is no way to revert back to Froyo.

If you root your phone and run a custom ROM you will still be running Android. Some ROMs are juts optimized versions of the stock ROM that you are running now, while some ROMs can be pure vanilla Android. This will give a quick break down on custom ROMs. Custom ROMs For Android Explained And Why You Want Them

3. ctts

ctts Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks crump for the clarification.