1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Noob question about SIM cards

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TnIan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Can you get a prepaid SIM that'll work in an Optimus T? If so, will this work in Mexico and/or Canada?

Sorry for the idiot questions; I've never had a phone that even had a SIM card, so I don't know how that stuff works.

Advertisement

2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

For our purposes, you can think of a SIM cards as basically holding your the account/service info. They are portable from device to device.* Non-SIM phones associate the phone with your account/service.

Any TMO sim can be used in the Optimus T. Example: you can borrow a friend's TMO sim and pop it into your phone and it will work fine immediately.

Any GSM SIM can be used* if the Optimus T is subsidy-unlocked. You can buy an unlock code off eBay (usually less than $10) to use a ATT sim, for example.* If you are an existing TMO user and you tell them you are travelling to Mexico they may give an unlock code for free.**

If you are going to be in Mx for a while it might be cheapest to buy a local prepaid SIM to call local Mx numbers.

If you will have access to wifi sometimes you might skip the local SIM and use wifi:
    1. to make VOIP calls back to the US using a SIP client or GrooVe app.
    2. to use Google Voice for SMS purposes.
    3. for email
    I think that's what I'd do.

When I go out of country I take out my US SIM because data/sms/voice calls outside the US are generally outrageously expensive. Nightmare stuff. People have racked up multi-thousand dollar bills while unintentionally roaming, particularly on data. You have been warned.

It's late and I don't know that I'm making much sense. Perhaps someone else will chime in with better or more helpful info.

* barring technical issues like frequency bands, etc. It is common to not have full use of another carrier's data if the frequencies are unsupported by your phone.
    ** sometimes based on length of time with the carrier

TnIan likes this.
  3. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    So, basically, I need to unlock the OT (if it's locked), and then I can buy local prepaid GSM SIMs when traveling?

Perfect. That's exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks!

4. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

Yup, that's it.

Tags: