1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Noob Question For unlimited Data package

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mricchio, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mricchio

mricchio Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Noob Question For unlimited Data package
    Hey everyone, just had a few questions about the HTC thunderbolt and the unlimited data package.

I've had verizon for about 1.5 year now with my Droid 2-Rooted and Tether app.
    I recently heard that verizon is getting rid of there unlimited data package, and i was wondering i were to buy the HTC thunderbolt in the next few days, would i still be eligible for unlimited package. And if so would i be able to root the phone and enable tethering like i did with my Droid 2.

Thanks all!
    -Mike

Advertisement

2. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    You'll be fine. You can even wait a month until the droid bionic comes out and still have unlimited 4g data. As long as you have 3g data righ tnow, you can upgrade to unlimited 4g in the future. As for root/tethering, that should be fine too.

3. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    Male
    Law Enforcement
    Staten Island, NY
    You have to buy the thunderbolt by 11:59 tonight to qualify for the unlimited data.

If you have an unlimited 3g plan, you dont have to worry and can buy the tbolt or any other 3g - 4g phone when you want.

Current unlimited 3g plans can be kept unlimited as long as you dont change your contract and if you renew your contract with no changes (except you can change your talk plan Ex: 700-1400 minute upgrade), and buy a 4g phone, you will be grandfathered into 4g unlimited. If you stay with a 3g phone, you stay 3g unlimited as well

Verizon looks at 3g/4g as the same in terms of being grandfathered in.

4. mricchio

mricchio Lurker
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    So if i currently have unlimited 3g data right now i will get grandfathered in at anytime? or just till the end or today?

5. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    you'll be grandfathered to a date that I dont know of, but it's certainly past todya.

6. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Right, you stay on your current grandfathered Unlimited plan until further notice. It won't end today, and is supposed to just continue. However, there is always a chance that down the road sometime, they might change things. Usually if that happens, they would give you an out at that point.