• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noob Question For unlimited Data package

mricchio

Lurker
Jul 6, 2011
Noob Question For unlimited Data package
Hey everyone, just had a few questions about the HTC thunderbolt and the unlimited data package.

I've had verizon for about 1.5 year now with my Droid 2-Rooted and Tether app.
I recently heard that verizon is getting rid of there unlimited data package, and i was wondering i were to buy the HTC thunderbolt in the next few days, would i still be eligible for unlimited package. And if so would i be able to root the phone and enable tethering like i did with my Droid 2.

Thanks all!
-Mike

You have to buy the thunderbolt by 11:59 tonight to qualify for the unlimited data.

If you have an unlimited 3g plan, you dont have to worry and can buy the tbolt or any other 3g - 4g phone when you want.

Current unlimited 3g plans can be kept unlimited as long as you dont change your contract and if you renew your contract with no changes (except you can change your talk plan Ex: 700-1400 minute upgrade), and buy a 4g phone, you will be grandfathered into 4g unlimited. If you stay with a 3g phone, you stay 3g unlimited as well

Verizon looks at 3g/4g as the same in terms of being grandfathered in.

Upvote 0
Right, you stay on your current grandfathered Unlimited plan until further notice. It won't end today, and is supposed to just continue. However, there is always a chance that down the road sometime, they might change things. Usually if that happens, they would give you an out at that point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones