1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Noob Question: G1 decent for robot processing?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 1337hovie, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 1337hovie

1337hovie Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey guys, quick question - i appreciate your time in advance,

I am a web developer, and looking to get into some light Android development. I am specifically looking to do this with robotics, and connecting to a Arduino, but that isn't my question:

I need to get an Android phone for tmobile, so i can keep a dedicated device on my robot (to do on board processing, instead of sending data to process). I was looking at the Google G1, because its the cheapest? like $80ish on ebay, and $90+ on craigslist.

• Is this a decent device? (i know nothing about android, i use iphone primarily)
    • Can i update to the newest Android, and it look clean and crisp like on the new android phones?
    • Is there a better phone for what i am looking for? (uber buget, with android, tmobile), should i consider another phone? i would like the G2x, but its like 300, and idk if i want to spend that on something thats going to sit on a bot.

Again, as a web dev, and i figured i might as well as people who develop on this platform, as they'll know the most about it, and what might fit my needs the best. I've used the forum search, but nothing too concrete on what i need.

Thanks again fellas,

JT

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Welcome to AF!

Honestly, sorry to be a downer but I think your best bet is either a high-end Honeycomb (Android 3.0-3.2) tablet or to wait for an Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4?) phone. Ice Cream Sandwich phones are due in the winter of this year.

USB host mode and the ADK weren't added until Android 3.1 (IIRC)

Read here for more info:

Android Open Accessory Development Kit | Android Developers

3. 1337hovie

1337hovie Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey alostpacket, i appreciate your timely response

I plan on using some ASUS tablet or something highend to actually develop the app; but as for communication to the robot, i was going to use an Android app to send commands via 3g/wifi/bluetooth which will be plugged into the Ardunio (which controls the bot).

the G1 won't support Android 3.1? Cant any version of android run on android phone? (excuse my lack of experience with the platform, hence all my questions, lol)

Here is a YoutTube video that shows android controlling a small robot (i wish mine was this small, HA) ‪Inexpensive Cardboard Android Arduino Cellbot In Action‬‏ - YouTube

(Another: ‪Overview of the Android Arduino cellbot‬‏ - YouTube) [actually shows the g1 and explains briefly]

Both bots are running Android, which is running a Python script to send commands through Serial to the Arduino board.

How are they running commands to that G1?

So there isn't a way for a G1 to have updgraded Android? or the hardware wont support anything new? (or vise versa - the software wont support if the hardware doesnt exist).

Thanks in advance, sorry to blast you with homework - just looking for answers.
    JT

4. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    If you're going to communicate via WiFi or Bluetooth, then actually any old Android phone would likely do.

However the G1 is pretty outdated old phone by today's standards. You can root and upgrade most phones (any without a locked bootloader) but no phones run Android 3.0-3.2 (that's designed for tablets) the newest phone OS is 2.3.4 on the Nexus S I think.

Ice Cream Sandwhich is supposed to re-merge the OS so the same OS will work on tablets and phones.

Anyways, I would still recommend you get a phone at least as fast as the Droid-1, and even better something faster like a Nexus One.

You might want to ask around in the Android Lounge subforum here to see what others think though -- we all have our own little prejudices.

The reason I reccommend the speed though is for data throughput on the connections. Anything older than a Droid 1, might struggle a bit depending on how much data you are pushing/receiving.

hth

5. 1337hovie

1337hovie Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey i really appreciate your responses, your post count and rep reflect how helpful you are.

Yeah i was weary of the G1; i'm not pushing too much data through it, and it would just need to do onboard processing of distance calulcations, communications, commands etc.

If i decide to send Video data, i think i should upgrade the phone, though. that stuff is heavy, lol.

faster processor = faster response. So if i do decide to spend some flow on it, might look for a dual core.

I may end up just justifying the cost, and using as my primary phone? LOL

What would you recommend as a budget phone, yet has capabilities of some scalability? You mention the Droid 1, and Nexus.

The g1 wouldnt be able to send commands via 3g? (or EDGE, ugh, i hate edge so much. lol)

I will try that sub forum, thanks

jt

6. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    The droid you can maybe get second-hand for pretty cheap ($100ish? maybe less), but actually the g1 might be worth a try if budget is the primary factor.

I mean most likely you could always re-sell it if it isnt fast enough. You will need to root it and install a newer OS if you go the Bluetooth route because Bluetooth wasnt officially supported until Android 2.0 ( I think G1 is Android 1.6 )

Anyways, happy to help -- just post back with a cool video or some code or something when you get it working :) I think the stuff is very cool :D

7. 1337hovie

1337hovie Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    hey thanks!

yeah i'll post back when i get something in a live enviornment, and atleast give feedback on, whatever phone model i choose, performs.

I may be in the market for some android dev's, so i'll give back to the community, and hire a few coders who are looking for some work.

Thanks again!

jt

alostpacket likes this.