1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Noob Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidKris, Jun 19, 2011.

1. AndroidKris

AndroidKris Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    So I have my NC booted with CM7 from the sdcard(so no "official" root), and I had a few questions.

1.) With RomManager, if I tell it to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, will it flash to the sdcard? Or will it effect the nooks internal memory?

2.) In relation to the first question, I prefer AmonRa recovery on my ally, which of the two is better with the nook?

3.) I'd like to overclock, is there a kernel available for use with the bootable sdcard?

4.) Last, but not least. All I have found are individual guides for rooting and flashing individual roms, is there any one guide that's fully comprehensive? Or even just a thread where most (if not all) of the root and rom information(links) have been collected in one place?

Thanks for reading my noob questions, and I appreciate all the hard works you devs do for this device.

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Ever hear of a sticky? That's where the tutorials are. (Top of this page) :D

I would assume RM would flash the currently loaded location so if booted off sdcard, it'll flash to that. My bootable CWR cards (see sticky) flash to the internal rom. I have never installed a rom to the sdcard tho so you'll need confirmation from others.

Overclocking info can be found on XDA forum, specifically here: [Kernel][Stock1.2][CM7] Dalingrin's OC kernel [6/18/11] - xda-developers

The kernels can be downloaded from here: http://coachz.inetpro.org/~dalingrin/nook/kernels/

You'd want a kernel with "SD" in the name for roms booted off the sdcard. Later kernels are for nightly CM7 roms. 042411 folder contains the last suitable kernel if your kernel version is .29. Anything after that uses the .32 kernel, which you'll see in (some of) the kernel file names. Obviously you'd want the CM7 version since Froyo is a different rom. Emmc versions are for internal roms.

Settings... about tablet... kernel version. Mine is 2.6.32.9 so I can use any kernel labeled cm7_emmc from 051311 or later. If you're running stable 7.03 or earlier, you'd want a kernel prior to that, but checking your kernel version is the ultimate decider.

Obviously you'd want to make a recovery backup in case you screw it up. :D

So you'd want to download the kernel, to your sdcard, open RM, update it if prompted, tap boot into recovery, then find your kernel and flash it.

Is there a reason you're running off the sdcard?

3. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    The Amon Ra you speak of is specific to the Ally. Use Clockwork for the Nook.