1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Noob Root and Rom questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ace1144, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ace1144

ace1144 Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Hey there. This might be the dumbest question you've heard in awhile, but, you know, we all start somewhere. So, I want to root my phone to be able to have a 4g Mobile Hotspot and a better battery life. But the problem is, is that I have no idea how/what to do or where to start. Also, I'm not very familiar with rooting terminology. Anyway, I have a few questions...

What is a ROM? My understanding of it (though I am probably completely wrong) is that is it sort of like a "Launcher" like launcherpro and such.

So if a ROM is what I think it is, do you "root" the phone first, then put a ROM on it?

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    actually,the ROM is the operating system,like windows 7 or xp. the launcher is what opens and closes your app drawer,and "launches" your apps,dialer,etc.

yes,you would root first,intall rom after,if you want to. plenty of folks root to remove some bloatware,or use certain root only apps,and happily run a rooted stock rom. so installing a rom after rooting is by no means necessary.

good place to start would be here:
    http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/322897-thunderbolt-rooting-methods.html

lots of links to methods of rooting,setting up to root,and even unrooting. :)

UBRocked, McLabia and ace1144 like this.