1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Noob root question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by USHwy129, Jun 5, 2011.

1. USHwy129

USHwy129 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Clearwater FL
    I have an IT background, but no Linux experience, so bear with me.

I'm thinking of rooting my DX (just updated to 2.3.3), and have 3 questions:

EDIT: Forgot to ask, first off is it even possible to root Gingerbread yet?

1) On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest risk) what is the risk that rooting my phone is going to brick it?

2) Also on a scale of 1-10 (1 most stable) how stable will it be after rooting?

3) What's the best way to root a DX for someone who is very tech-confident but a Linux noob?

I ask all this because the phone is critical to my business and I need it functioning flawlessly and don't have time to deal with a brick. I have a backup but it's a WinMo phone and I REALLY don't want to have to dig up THAT fossil lol

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

2. Droid Ninja

Droid Ninja Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    I am no where near an expert BUT I am a newly rooted 2.3.3 DX user that can answer question #2 for you. So far(24 hours) phone is running amazing. Way better than it ran on froyo. No reboots. No lag. The rooted GB seems very stable to me.

Sounds like you have a lot of the questions I was asking 24 hours ago. See if anything in this thread helps. Guides and experienced members held my hand and walked me through the way to do it.

As far as the rest of your questions, I am sure the pros will be chiming in any second now with all the info for you.

3. USHwy129

USHwy129 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Clearwater FL
    Thanks. I just realized though that I may have screwed myself or at least created a ton of extra work by accepting the OTA Gingerbread, since it can't be rooted yet and some think it won't be.

I really didn't want to do the root manually, but looks like I have to remove the OTA and install the already rooted GB to get there. Live and learn.

4. Droid Ninja

Droid Ninja Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Scientist
    NJ
    Yah you just got an extra step now. Gotta sbf back to froyo. I have no clue how to do that :thinking: Once there its pretty easy to install the rooted GB. I was scared at root manually at first but its much easier than you think. Took me less than 10 min.

5. Aggie12

Aggie12 Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    1. I'll rate that at 1. With not having access to the bootloader anything we do to our phone cant really permabrick it. It can always be flashed with the SBF to get it back.

2. Stability will depend on what you do with root access. you can make it terribly unstable doing different things but for the most part it will be more stable and better battery when you install a new ROM or remove some bloat.

3. No linux experience is required for any of this. I would say most people on this board have never booted into a linux OS. Linux is awesome and you can do a lot of behind the scene stuff on android but not required. Froyo can be rooted using a one-click method of z4root but GB cannot be rooted as of now. The only way to be on GB rooted is to currently be on .340 and then install the 2 part update.zip from here.

It's not a big deal to SBF your phone. We do it all the time. Here and here are information of the SBF process. I prefer the first since linux is my only option on a mac. But I have a whole partition of my HD with linux. :D

USHwy129 likes this.
  6. USHwy129

USHwy129 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Clearwater FL
    Thanks that answers everything. I'm going to sbf back and go the rooted GB route when I get time. I really want to get out from under the thumb of Motorola and Verizon as much as I can. The more I learn the more they annoy me.