1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Noob Rooter Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by No Hands 55, Jun 4, 2011.

1. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Guest
    None
    So i'm brand new to rooting and am looking to do it for the stability and performance as well as some themes and special apps. I have an HTC Evo 4G and am running 2.3.3 gingerbread.

I was looking at unrevoked and cyanogen and decided thats what i will do. My questions is do i have to wait for unrevoked to update so i can root gingerbread? also i noticed there is unrevoked forever and unrevoked3. I was looking around and was not able to tell if i need to do forever if i also do 3. some say i do and some say that forever is incorporated into 3. any confirmation?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm just about 100% sure you have to wait until the devs unlock the new hboot.

3. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    you're going to have to wait for the devs to root the official gb for evo before you can root.

4. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately you will have to wait til they find a new exploit to root the new hboot. If you have an hboot version above 2.10, unrevoked will not work. I am sure they are hard at work trying to get it rooted but there is no telling how long it may take. As far as unrevoked 3 and unrevoked forever, as of version 3.x unrevoked flashes forever during the rooting process so it is not necessary to do separately. Keep checking back though for the new root. You will see posts about it as soon as they find it. Otherwise, take some time and read through the Rooting for Dummies guide. It will get you familiar with the procedure for when they find the exploit.

ocnbrze and No Hands 55 like this.
  5. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Guest
    None
    cool thanks everyone! i was expecting that i am going to have to wait, not a huge deal to me because now i get to do more research on rooting before i attempt it. and extreme thanks for the answer on unrevoked. i have been wondering for a while and could never find a final answer.

So now i just wait for the new hboot to be unlocked and unrevoked to be updated and i dont need unrevoked forever. thanks a ton!

6. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    The best reading I have found on the subject can be found in the links in the Essentials thread stickied at the top of the forum.

7. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Guest
    None
    so i know i can root gingerbread yet but is there any ways that i would be able to downgrade back to froyo?

8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    since you did the ota, the hboot you have has not been unlocked yet. but once we have an exploit found and you can root your phone, there are plenty of roms that are on froyo. however, if you are talking about downgrading back to froyo on an unrooted phone, i'm pretty sure that you can't. maybe a sprint tech can do it, but i'm not sure.

Tags: