1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root nOOb to nOOky

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jerry-rigged, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    Howdy all ya'll Nook'ers!

I'm a long time D1 user, rooted, rom'ed, etc... Wife just got me a NC... Will be rooting it soon. Just wanted to say Hi. Hopefully I won't ask too many bone-headed questions.

If ya'll have any NC nOOb itps, feel free to pass them on. Mean time, I am off to read all the stickies and try to figure out the root+froyo on my Nook.

Jerry

Advertisement

2. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Jerry, I was in the same boat very recently. You can check out some of the great early advice that I was given here.

Jerry-rigged likes this.
  3. d3310n

d3310n Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    florida
    Just a tip, dont go for froyo, go for 2.3 on cm7. And while your at it, add a kernel. Id reckon going with the newest nighly and the newest kernel. Dont forget to make sure your uboot is up to date.

4. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    Thanks for the tips, now can you translate that into nOOb? :) Some of that I get, But -

Which Kernal do you recommend? Also, RE: the nightly builds, for my D1, I usally skip the nightly and wait for the once a month or so "mostly bug free" releases - do those exist in the Nook world?

Last, WTF is Uboot?

So far, from reading the stickies, I think I will start with using a spare 16gb (class 2) mSD to make a "nookie" boot disk. Sounds like it might run a bit slow on the class 2, but that will buy me some play time while I read up some more on Phiremod and the CM7 builds...

5. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Moving this to the root section since it's regarding customs roms. :D

You're referring to CM7 stable builds and last stable for NC was 7.03.

CM7 installs similarly to Phiremod, but after flashing the rom, requires the Google apps (and custom kernel, if going with that) to be installed before booting into the rom.

Nightly builds might be stable, but might have their own quirks since they are not considered stable. They are only recommended for people that know how to fix a NC that won't boot. :D

I expect the current nightly builds will go stable in the next couple weeks... 7.04 and Phiremod will release a tweaked version about a week after that. That will be one worth updating to since it'll have better performance and better battery life when sleeping (like 100x better than current CM7-based roms).

6. d3310n

d3310n Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    florida
    i normally wouldn't recommend nightlies, but right now they are VERY stable not a problem yet. as for the kernel you can find theme here Index of /~dalingrin/nook/kernels
    and by make sure your u boot is updated, what does your nc say when you turn it on?? ("touch the future of reading" or "read forever")

edit: btw when picking a kernel only the .32 kernels will work with the "read forever" uboot. if you are not updated, there is a thread i posted somewhere on here about updating uboot, just search for it :D

7. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Jerry just said something I've been wondering: What is uboot?

8. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    uboot is one of the startup files for your Nook. Think of it like a bios update for your computer. The newer uboot for the B&N software update changes the startup message to "Read Forever". The newer .32 kernels prefer the 1.2 uboot where as the last stable update (7.03) doesn't.

The CM7 nightlies now replace it with a custom CyanogenMod one that is very nice. Although I've never experienced one, until they get the SOD (sleep of death) issues cleared up (shouldn't be long) I can't recommend the nightly builds. Updating to Stock 1.2 before installing the nightlies does seem to be a benefit tho as does letting the wireless turn off with the screen.

FWIW, I just added a guide to installing CM7, which would be exactly the same for installing the nightly, just change two files, the rom (duh) and the .32 kernel, (if you want the latest). I'm sure the updated .32 kernel will be part of the nightly very soon tho. :D

flu13 likes this.