• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root noob trying (or thinking rather) to root

i've been reading a lot of the guides, trying to figure out if i'm ok with rooting my phone. i'm currently running the first 2.2 update. i'm happy with the way that's working out for me. i don't have too many issues with it. one issue I've had with the phone is the speed. all i want (for now) is to get some more speed out of it.

my question is, if i follow this, then the kernel installation from this and install one of p3droid's or chevyno1's kernel, will i be rooted and oc'ed? is that all i need or do i need to change the rom as well?

i dont really care for changing the layout or what not at the moment.

also, what is the difference between the low voltage and standard or medium voltage?

tia guys (and gals)

The voltages are the various power levels available for the phone to use. The lower the voltage your phone operates at, the cooler it runs and the longer the battery lasts. HOWEVER: some phones don't like ultra-low voltage, as it makes the phone unstable. So you'll have to up the voltage. I use P3's low voltage kernel and it works well for me... your mileage may vary.

I HIGHLY recommend you make a backup using the x+power Recovery BEFORE flashing a new kernel! If your phone is thrown into a bootloop, it'll be your only way back.

Upvote 0
I backup before rooting, MyBackup or Titanium to save apps and settings and data

I then backup after I flash a ROM (since that must come before applying a kernel) via clockworkmd and/or nanodroid once I have my settings, apps, data back as I like it and it seems stable and I am happy. at that time, with that backup, you would have the ROM and all your settings as you like them backed up so you could just roll right back it there is a fail or you just dont like.

"then" you could apply a kernel.. but based on advice I got earlier on, I downloaded several kernels I wanted onto my phone so that if one failed and could not boot, I could just boot into like sprecovery and flash a different kernel. this would save time/effort. luck for me, the kernel I selected - chevy no 1 ULV 1.1 ghz took on the first flash so I was GTG.

Upvote 0
Yeah what they said. You cannot back up too often! Backup your phone as soon as you have Recovery, then again when you have a stable ROM (especially BEFORE adding a kernel).

Make SURE you can access recovery through x+power, not ROM Manager. If you get into a bootloop, Rom Manager can't help you and ClockworkMod recovery can be a little finicky about loading right.

Upvote 0
Yeah what they said. You cannot back up too often! Backup your phone as soon as you have Recovery, then again when you have a stable ROM (especially BEFORE adding a kernel).

Make SURE you can access recovery through x+power, not ROM Manager. If you get into a bootloop, Rom Manager can't help you and ClockworkMod recovery can be a little finicky about loading right.

This is where I'm stuck at the moment. Can't access recovery, and I'm stuck in bootloader, but says battery is too low.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones