1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by letankoid, Jun 7, 2011.

1. letankoid

letankoid Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    SF, bay area
    Time to upgrade.... from a Dare to a real smartphone, but I want to avoid the problems.... and it seems that this is more like a boot camp trying to find out which model is working or dying within a few days or hours.... arrrrrgh.
    Michel

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Android Forums.

What you are experiencing is support forum psychosis. You're going crazy thinking there are problems with every phone out there, when in truth the real problems are rather rare. What happens is that when someone has a problem they find their way here to find a solution, adding to the appearance of problems everywhere.

I won't say there are no problems, because there are. Some are hardware shortcomings and others are software related, but most can be overcome with a little knowledge and elbow grease. Occasionally you will get a device with a manufacturing defect, but that can happen with any product. Android wouldn't have become the global smartphone leader in such a short time if it didn't have something going for it.

It's commendable that you are doing a little research before you buy. That will eliminate a barrel full of disappointment in the long run.

Now, if you could tell us what you expect from a smartphone, and what your preferences are in terms of size, carrier and budget, then we can make some recommendations.

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to AndroidForums, letankoid!

I totally agree with lunatic59...his analysis was spot-on.

I sort of feel like an exception to the rule, since I just wanted to read and learn and hang-around with the folks that know more about Android than I do.

I've also been very lucky with the Android devices that I've had (I cannot cite a single problem (hardware or software) that really irked me that I could not find a solution for).

Anyway, let us know how we can help direct you.

Cheers!