1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Noobie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mustfly, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mustfly

mustfly Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Fireman
    Kuwait
    Hello all -

Recently jumped from the sinking Nokia flagship N8 to the world of Android. I could no longer wrap my brain around Nokia's insistance upon building beautiful hardware that was run by OS's that were obsolete and largely unsupported. It's a shame they never saw the Android light and jumped on the train. Instead, it seems the "light" they see is coming the obsolescence bearing down on them head-on, at full throttle. Shame shame shame. Anyhoo,...I'm here now and loving my new GS2. The first thing I've dug into is should I root my phone. I used Terminal Emulator and got the $ prompt, so I'm gonna say it's NOT rooted. This only came up on the radar when I was looking for a nice screenshot app...almost all of which require a rooted phone. I don't really want to scrub all the data on the phone just to root it, but am open to suggestion/guidance on that subject. I've got a 32GB SD card in it for a total of 48GB. Can I backup all my data (mainly phone numbers) and apps to the card to make recovery easier should I decide to root? Thanks in advance for any suggestion and step by step guidance. I will certainly post questions as I dig deeper.)

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hi,

Welcome to Android Forum. Home of everything Android. You can find all the "tips & tricks" about your phone over the GS2 forum.

Tap/click on the sub-forum link in my Sig, there you can find the forum for your device.

Thanks for signing up. Enjoy the forum. :)

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

You don't need root to do screenshots on most SGS2 phones. Give this a try.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Tips and Tricks - Screen Shot - YouTube

Because the Galaxy S2 classification covers different models from different carriers, the forums have been split so not to cause any confusion. Select the forum appropriate to your phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 (AT&T) - Android Forums
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) - Android Forums
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) - Android Forums
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) - Android Forums

mustfly likes this.
  4. mustfly

mustfly Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Fireman
    Kuwait
    Brilliantly simple and thanks a ton for pointing out a totally integrated, perfectly suitable screenshot function !! Suddenly,...rooting seems "overrated". Suhweeeeeet !!