1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Noob's Guide to Rooting and ROMing your Droid X: Critique Please!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by diskovilante, Feb 16, 2011.

1. diskovilante

diskovilante Member

After the great learning experiences I've had on this forum, I decided to give back to the community and create a detailed guide for people new to rooting and installing ROMs. Specifically, rooting and installing Apex 1.4.0 since it's a great starter ROM!

This guide is a work in progress. I am asking for input on it before I post a final version. Please, hit me with your hardest! I want all suggestions!

• Should I change the title?
    • Did I leave anything out?
    • Should I include screenshots/pictures?

I typed it up in Google Docs since it auto-saves and it was easier to format.

Here it is:

Thanks in advance for any input! :D

Advertisement

2. jlewis74

jlewis74 Well-Known Member

Other than the fact that there is an in depth guide at the top of this page it looks good!

3. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert

It's great to want to help, but there are at least two very good, very in-depth guides already available in the forums, one of which is in the thread that is stuck to the top of this forum.

It's kinda re-inventing the wheel. Rather than re-writing the same thing, perhaps it might be better to collaborate? Read the guides that are there and edit them to be better?

4. thinkfreud

thinkfreud Lurker

I have not seen any of the other guides, but this one is excellent. Thanks taking the time to put it together.

I'm new to the site, but I cannot seem to find where the other guides located?

5. jlewis74

Look at the top of this forum it is stuck at the top of the page.

6. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert

Thank you for creating this guide ....who cares if there are already others ....do your thing and continue to contribute what has been taught to you man ...I think its great what you are doing ...it makes the % chance of someone who needs it actually seeing it or reading it if there are more guides ....thank you for your hard work and contribution

7. old.blue

old.blue Well-Known Member

Love it! Thanks!

8. diskovilante

diskovilante Member

That stickied thread is not a guide, it's a list of links to guides...guides that I find lacking and not well organized. When I first started reading those guides I was confused and overwhelmed. They were not noob friendly.

matt.burns21 likes this.
  9. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

i think this is a good guide mainly because of the step by step outline format you prepared it in. ....i'm a software tester by profession and this looks like a decent test procedure document lol. Something you may want to add is a little more info on what to do after the completion of the install of the Rom. such as

how to get your contacts back
    how to restore your app data (NOT SYSTEM DATA) using the backup you created with Titanium

also you forgot these two steps from Fab's own instructions -Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
    -Select Factory Reset (delete data/cache)

which is why you would have to explain how to get contacts and apps back.

either way i think its good that you put this together. If one person gets benefit from it then it was worth it. Thanks

10. diskovilante

diskovilante Member

*smacks head*

Holy crap I can't believe I forgot the step to delete data and wipe cache!!!

Thank you so much! I'm adding that now.

Ok, so getting contacts back...doesn't logging into your Google account do that for you automatically?

11. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

correct on the contacts.

12. jlewis74

Hey I was not saying there was anything wrong with you doing this guide, I just thought you did not see the other one.

Yours is nice and keep up the good work!

13. diskovilante

diskovilante Member

No problem :)

14. matt.burns21

matt.burns21 Newbie

Very good disko. I, like you, was a bit confused when first rooting and roming. This guide is very straightforward and to the point! Way to go!

15. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member

I read the other guide I found on here for rooting, while it a LOT of good info, the actual process of rooting was still confusing me, this guide was excellent and easy to follow. Successfully rooted last night, now just to play with and figure out the endless possibilities :D