1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nook Color Charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Girevik, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Is there something special about the nook color charger? I had ours plugged in with a phone adapter that has the same plug, and it actually seemed to be draining while it was plugged in. This has me a little concerned becuase I was counting on my car charger for my phone working on the nook. Is there something special about the charger that comes with the nook that would make it work while others wouldn't?

Advertisement

2. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Not the charger, but the cable. The NC cable delivers 2 amps, while a standard micro USB cable delivers .5 amps. You *CAN* use a standard micro USB cable to charge the NC, but it takes a l-o-n-g time. And depending on what you're doing, you probably could discharge the battery faster than a standard micro USB cable can charge.

The NC cable's micro USB connector is slightly longer than standard, which means it can't be (accidentally) used on a device that can't accept the nonstandard power.

Girevik likes this.
  3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    The charger AND the cable are both required to get the 2 amps. If you have a phone charger, I bet it only puts out 1 amp max.

If you plug it into the charger and turn your NC off, it'll charge faster. I might interchange the chargers (both 2 amps), but like to keep the cable with the device. The NC turns green when charged, with is a nice feature. Just don't beat up the cables since they do fail easily.

4. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    I'll add - if you plug your NC into a PC, it will NOT charge.

When traveling, I've use my motorola and iPhone usb "brick" with the NC cable, and it will charge fine overnight, if you make sure the screen is OFF while charging. CM7 turns the screen ON (and does not sleep) while charging, and with the screen on & with a non-NC usb brick, your NC will drain the battery on the charger.

With the NC Brick, all is good.

5. dparrothead1

dparrothead1 Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    none
    N. E. Florida
    I use my Samsung smartphone car charger and it works fine with my Nook.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Car chargers often will output 1 or more amps.The ones I purchased a couple years ago were called rapid chargers.

7. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    You can charge with many phone chargers, but it will probably be slower. A B&N NOOK Color/Tablet charger will give you a full charge from empty in ~3-4 hours. My regular charger is closer to +10% per hour. I can charge slowly off my laptop USB port. I can charge slowly using a regular micro USB cable.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule given the variety of chargers out there. If you're taking more than 4 hours, the B&N charger may be faster.