• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root nook color is frozen

noobie here, but I've followed the directions to a T and my brother and I are stuck, it seems that the screen of our nook color is frozen (not responding to touch) and we can not continue with the set up before it goes to sleep. We are thinking it has to do with the new update but we are not sure :thinking: Any suggestions?

I am attempting to root and and install CM7 with GApp to Nook Color. I have done this a few times before on my own Nook Colors with some difficulty but I succeeded in the end and cannot say enough thanks to those involved for putting together such a great effort on this project. This time I am modding my cousins device and seem to have hit a problem I am not finding much information on. I have done the usual uNooter with PC and sdFlash CM7.0.3 + GApps. I did format system, data, cache. The one thing that seems out of place first off is the original "Read Forever" splash screen pops up before the generic "ANDROID_" text pops up before the skaterDroid logo for CM7. I am making an educated guess that I failed to ROOT the device first. Can anyone confirm my suspicions or point out what went wrong.

Upvote 0
7.03 is pretty old. You'd be better off with 7.1 and the latest gApps. I hope you didn't use a guide on this forum, b/c I think they're all up to date. :D

Also, make sure you have CWM 3.2.0.1 on your bootable sdcard since older versions have trouble formatting data and it will boot loop or apps will FC if it does boot. When you boot off of it, it'll say the version.

Reactions: ONElikeGOD
Upvote 0
[...] I have done the usual uNooter with PC and sdFlash CM7.0.3 + GApps.
As Colchiro notes, that's is an OLD version of CM. Specifically, it does not include drivers for the screen hardware used in newer NOOK Color devices. This is a known issue. Try a newer version and it should work just fine.

When I was running CM7, I was a big fan of the CM7.2 RC0 Mirage release. It incorporates a lot of fixes that didn't make it into the official CM releases before the big freeze, including Sleep of Death fixes that plague many users.

Reactions: ONElikeGOD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones