1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nook Color multi Access point environment

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nehpets, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nehpets

nehpets Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Ok, so I have a number of Nook Color Android devices variously running Android 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0.

I'm in a multi-access point environment, with about 150 APs, all the same model all running the same firmware. With my laptop, or symbian devices, I can pick up the appropriate signal from all the APs.

With my Android-Nooks, however, they seem to simply 'ignore' the signal from some APs. For example, I can be holding my laptop next to an AP, and the laptop reports 100% signal, but when I hold my nook next to it, the nook reports a low signal - it connects to an AP further away.

Has anyone got any idea of why this could be? I cannot think of any solution, it is very frustrating.

Advertisement

2. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    Do those APs have any MAC adressing blocked? Or are they configured that thier SSID isn't discoverable? I'd implement both of them in a work enviroment.

Any why would any of the NC be running 3.0. Honeycomb is far from stable and not really supported. If anything, go to CM7 or it's derrivatives running on 2.3.

nehpets likes this.
  3. nehpets

nehpets Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    hi nj02vette,

thanks for replying. They don't use MAC address blocking or hidden SSIDs (although yes, I agree - if it was my network I would implement these measures).

I managed a 'sort-of' solution - it seems the NC ignores any APs on channel 13, so I have had to manually reconfigure some of the APs to output on other channels (which makes a mess of the auto-channeling) - i can't understand why I am the only person (with 13 NCs!) to encounter this error.

the 3.0 was only of SD - we don't use these with our company (it is too slow, and not very good, actually). I may try this 2.3 - appears to run off internal memory so may be a solution there.

4. nehpets

nehpets Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    oh, and thanks for the tip on CM7 - its brilliant !