1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nook Color or Moto XOOM Tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eloquence, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bluewhite79

bluewhite79 Well-Known Member

just googled it. $800 for unsubsidized 3g/4g/wifi version? thats actually really good. I wonder what the 3g/4g/wifi under contract will be priced at?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

I think the 3G/4G is priced on a tiered basis.

3. djklmnop

djklmnop Lurker

Just think about it guys. The Motorola Xoom has been priced accordingly to US Dollar's inflation.

4. defex

defex Newbie

I was considering the Xoom, but I just bought a Nook for $200.00 and I told myself the extra three inches of screen and camera just weren't worth the extra $600.00. If I find the screen is too small, I can always upgrade later when prices for 10" tabs drops. That being said I would probably consider the Viewsoniv g tab over the xoom. Similar specs at a better price point.

5. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Android Enthusiast

6. A.Nonymous

Three inches just ain't worth it. I know. I hear it all the time.

loribug26 likes this.
  7. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Android Enthusiast

I was going to buy a GTablet but the screen wasn't cutting it. Especially after I played with the Nook's screen. Plus, the price point of the Nook is a great buy at $200.

8. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!

Really? You don't want to leave yourself that wide open for jokes do you? :D

But seriously, the Xoom is a much better tablet than the nook (just is). People on a tighter budget probably won't opt for the Xoom as the nook and other cheaper tablets provide more value. Whether it's worth it or not is going to differ from one person to the next.

9. A.Nonymous

There's no question the Xoom is a better tablet. I don't think anyone would argue that. The people at Motorola were intending to make a great tablet. The people at BN were just trying to make an e-reader and people hacked it to turn it into a tablet.

10. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

The nook is basically a Droid X with a 7 in screen.... same basic internals. I love my Droid X, and at $200 the Nook is a great buy IMHO. But I usually go for the latest/greatest when I buy and the Xoom and other upcoming powertabs are very appealing. However at 3 to 4 times the cost, I'm not sure they are THAT much better. It really depends on if you can afford the best of the current best or if you are OK tweaking a lesser product that makes it a very nice and useable rig. Personally I am waitiing for a bit before getting a tab - my Droid X is basically my tab now anyway. I will wait til there is more separation between a tab and a smartphone.

11. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Android Expert

The Nook is kind of a little girl I have a real woman now. I do not think the Nook will ever fulfill the honeycomb experience.

12. UBRocked

Well said.

The reason that I feel the Xoom is overpriced is simply because we don't NEED them. Sure, tablets are cool. But smartphones do EVERYTHING that our tablets can do (if not more). I'm typing his message on my Archos 70 priced at a reasonable $279.99 (reasonable to me that is)...so obviously I like having the larger device. I'm just not ready to invest even $500.

To me, the Xoom might as well be $5,000. It is so far away from what I'm willing to spend. But to each their own. If someone sees the Xoom as being worth the $600 price tag on two year contract (or a little more for wifi only or pay full retail)...then that's up to them. I'd love to have one...just not gonna buy one.

13. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

The Xoom is twice what my girlfriends laptop cost. You can get an Archos 9 or an eee tablet, which are full blow Windows 7 computers for <$500. I personally couldn't justify spending that much money on a toy that not even in the same ballpark for functionality.

Besides, 10" is a really bad size to haul around (for a guy anyways. If you have a purse, this isn't as much of an issue). It won't fit in any pockets, so you'll have to either carry a netbook bag everywhere you go or hold it constantly. And it's also an awkward size to hold/use. I think 7" is far better for a mobile device (for me anyways).

14. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I agree. Tabs right now are just basically bigger screened smartphones, and you are right, most of the android tabs are actually less usable than the current crop of smartphones as the OS was not optimized for the larger device. The Nook is appealing because it has great internals, great screen, and is easily hackable at a GREAT current price relative to other tabs. I actually bought 3 Coby 7015's for our kids for christmas for $149 each, and while they have been an absolute HIT with the kids, they lacked by far for me comparing to what my DX can do. It isn't even close. I still think being a little more patient will yield an overall price correction in the tab market as right now they are priced more than a decently spec'd laptop. I sold my Asus G73JH and am using an $500 hp lappy as I type and right now the Xoom can't touch this laptop overall. So until I see more real REASON to own a tab, unless the price is just so low its a no brainer, I'll wait. Ideally I want a tab akin to the upcoming asus transformer, but with the ability to dual boot win 7 and android..... dreaming I know. Maybe in a couple years. Then it can truly be a laptop replacement.

15. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

Anybody else feel bad for the Nook? The nook got thrust in a tablet war when it didn't even want to fight. haha.

Just because some devs decided to give it some guns doesn't mean it wanted to go out killing other tablets. :(

The nook says....Give Peace a Chance. One love!:p

16. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

It's kind of a trojan horse.... nice internals hidden under an e-reader facade.

17. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

18. Toonz

Toonz Well-Known Member

I'm so happy I got the NC... It's perfect for my needs. After playing with the Xoom for a while I think it's wayyyy over priced and will be better in mid summer, when all the bugs are fixed and the price drops $200-300

19. A.Nonymous

Even at $599 it's really, really expensive.

loribug26 likes this.
  20. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

Expensive is relative.

However, it has signifigantly better hardware than the competing 32GB iPad for the same price. I do think Motorola should have released a 16GB WiFi version for $499 first, just to quiet those who keep complaining about the price.

That may change today based on Apples announcement.

21. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

I agree with this.

Comparing the Xoom to the GTablet, these are the only point the Xoom beats the GTablet:

* RAM: Xoom has 1GB, Gtablet has 512MB.
    * Cameras: Xoom has a rear facing one, and a better front facing one.
    * Display: Viewing angles are a bit better, most likely because of...
    * Resolution: The Xoom has a higher resolution, which I think is what causes the GTablet's poor viewing angles (In landscape, the GTablet has great viewing angles. In portrait, it sucks).

So, the GTablet costs $375 or so, and the Xoom costs $599. I'm sure the extra RAM helps a bit. I've never had a "Too little RAM" issue with the GTab, but I'll cede it most likely helps. How much? Who knows.

Will I take pictures with my tablet? No. I have a camera for that, and for quick pics, I'm not picking up a tablet to do it, I'm grabbing my phone (Fascinate, which has a better camera than the Xoom).

Now, the Gtablet has the Xoom beat out in the following points:
    * SD Card: Yes, the Xoom will have one, but it's not active yet.
    * Flash: Yes, it's Coming Soon(TM) for the Xoom, but the GTablet has it already
    * USB Port: A USB port in host mode, so you can use pretty much any USB device short of CD-ROM drives.
    * Totally unlocked: To reflash, place ROM on card (Internal, or external), and reboot into reocvery. New ROM is flashed.
    * Dev community supported: Viewsonic is embracing the Dev community. Even linking to the XDA site. Motorola's support for these kinds of things are lacking, to say the least.
    * Price: The GTablet is under $400.

The USB port is a killer point for me. My tablet can now replace my netbook. The unlocked nature is also killer, and Viewsonic thus far has been rapid on their updates. They have also ensured (As best as a corporation can), that this is not a dead-end product they will ignore after 6 months.

22. dstrauss

dstrauss Lurker

Very interesting perspective, but I think it's really more of a Trojan horse...and has already gotten inside the gates of Troy!

23. UBRocked

I know this is a NC vs. Xoom thread...but I'm just going to go slightly off topic here.

Last night I didn't feel like getting my laptop out. But I wanted to watch some Youtube videos of the Atrix, Inspire, and Galaxy S 4G. I propped up my little Archos 70 tablet using the built in kickstand...and got me thinking...

I really wouldn't complain about the NC not having a kickstand. I even understand why some of the cheaper tablets don't have them. Why in the world doesn't the Xoom have one? That's just stupid! Oh sure...I'm sure you can BUY the docking station...but you shouldn't have to. The Xoom is a decently heavy device with a big display. My Archos has a cheap kickstand...but it's really handy. I just don't get the decision to exclude something like that. You gonna bring your dock with you on the plane just so you can prop up your device while you watch a movie???

24. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert

I'm considering getting a Nook Color at this point, after debating whether or not to get this or a gTablet... I chose the NC. Screen quality, build quality, price point and the fact that its running better and better builds of honeycomb, might as well. I was concerned about having a front-facing cam for a tab, but my EVO will be able to take over that responsibility for now.

loribug26 likes this.
  25. A.Nonymous

The iPad 2 is priced at $499 (wifi version) and it's got a front facing camera and dual core processors. What does the Xoom have hardware wise that justifies being nearly twice the price?