• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nook Color vs. XOOM Tablet?

Eloquence

Apr 20, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Guys, I need your help. With the news of the Nook Color being pulled from shelves shortly, I am scared that they may try to lock down the bootloader ala Motostyle. IF they do that, the hackability will be limited in that there will be no Cyanogen Mod for tablets bought after said "fix". :(

I really want the Nook Color, but can't justify spending on both it and the XOOM tablet at the same time. So I was going to buy the XOOM first, and then get the Nook Color later on in the early summer.

Now, with B&N doing this, I don't know what to do. What do you guys think? Should I get the Nook now, wait for XOOM later (several months after release date), or take my chances that the lock down won't be as bad as I think?

Please help!!
-Elo

They're not pulling it from the shelves because its not great, they're pulling it to (supposedly) lock down the bootloader after Honeycomb was succesfully ported to the Nook.

As for looking to get both devices, I agree. Why buy both? You can get the Kindle app for Android so if you have a Xoom, you have an E-Reader in addition to the tablet computing; the Nook is JUST an E-Reader. You need to ask yourself what you need; do you just need an E-Reader? Or would you like the options a tablet provides you over the capabilities of the E-Reader?

Reactions: Eloquence
Upvote 0
They're not pulling it from the shelves because its not great, they're pulling it to (supposedly) lock down the bootloader after Honeycomb was succesfully ported to the Nook.

As for looking to get both devices, I agree. Why buy both? You can get the Kindle app for Android so if you have a Xoom, you have an E-Reader in addition to the tablet computing; the Nook is JUST an E-Reader. You need to ask yourself what you need; do you just need an E-Reader? Or would you like the options a tablet provides you over the capabilities of the E-Reader?
The Nook Color is NOT just an E-Reader. It's a fully functioning Android tablet with a little work.

No, not near as good as the Motorola Xoom is supposed to be, but at less than 1/3rd the price, not too shabby.

Upvote 0
Guys, I need your help. With the news of the Nook Color being pulled from shelves shortly, I am scared that they may try to lock down the bootloader ala Motostyle. IF they do that, the hackability will be limited in that there will be no Cyanogen Mod for tablets bought after said "fix". :(

I really want the Nook Color, but can't justify spending on both it and the XOOM tablet at the same time. So I was going to buy the XOOM first, and then get the Nook Color later on in the early summer.

Now, with B&N doing this, I don't know what to do. What do you guys think? Should I get the Nook now, wait for XOOM later (several months after release date), or take my chances that the lock down won't be as bad as I think?

Please help!!
-Elo

Simple if modding is a priority, get a Gtablet- Tegra 2, not locked down and about $350 :) ;)

Perhaps wait on the Xoom for two months, price will have to drop if carriers and Motorola expect to sell many and not fall into the same fate as Galaxy Tab, of which sell-in numbers are mentioned and NOT sell-out to customers ;)

Upvote 0
The Nook Color is NOT just an E-Reader. It's a fully functioning Android tablet with a little work.

No, not near as good as the Motorola Xoom is supposed to be, but at less than 1/3rd the price, not too shabby.

Yes, I agree it is a fully functioning Android tablet with a little work, but it will most likely never be as good as any of the newer android tablets...I mean even if you were to ignore the fact that it has no camaras, no built in mic, etc. the fact is that it will never run android as well as most tablets out there(thats what I think anyway.)

So to answer the question at hand:

I think you should get nether...I guess Xoom if you really can't wait, but there will be more tablets with honeycomb coming out this year.

Upvote 0
I just sold my rooted Nook. I kinda got tired of having to hack every time I wanted some functionality. I think the Nook will never do 1/4 of what the Xoom will do. Quite honestly I think the Nook is a great little tablet at $250 and the Xoom will be a much more awesome tablet for $800.

I think they are equally good values considering what they do.

Upvote 0
I just bought the Nook Color today. I bought it on the premise of renting it till the Xoom came out and getting that. This thing is awesome. I love what you can do to it. The thing I really love about the Nook is the digital magazines you can read. Unless someone can tell me other wise, you can't do the same on the Xoom. Looks like I will be having two devises now.

Upvote 0
I just sold my rooted Nook. I kinda got tired of having to hack every time I wanted some functionality. I think the Nook will never do 1/4 of what the Xoom will do. Quite honestly I think the Nook is a great little tablet at $250 and the Xoom will be a much more awesome tablet for $800.

I think they are equally good values considering what they do.

So you sold your Prius to buy a BMW. Sweet!

Can't wait for the reviews from all of you guys. Also, I can't wait til we get our mitts on the real honeycomb OS that will hopefully come from the Xoom. (fingers crossed)

Upvote 0
I just bought the Nook Color today. I bought it on the premise of renting it till the Xoom came out and getting that. This thing is awesome. I love what you can do to it. The thing I really love about the Nook is the digital magazines you can read. Unless someone can tell me other wise, you can't do the same on the Xoom. Looks like I will be having two devises now.

Does the nook app on the market allow magazine subscriptions? I really don't know but if it did....then the Xoom can read digital magazines. That would be a major shocker and very ironic if it can't.

Upvote 0
Does the nook app on the market allow magazine subscriptions? I really don't know but if it did....then the Xoom can read digital magazines. That would be a major shocker and very ironic if it can't.

No it does not. I downloaded the Nook app on both my iPhone and Fascinate. It just syncs the books. Not the magazines.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0

Zinio has an Android tablet app that has a huge catalog of magazines. I haven't used it personally because I never had a Galaxy Tab but it seems like a popular service.

Zinio Digital Magazines & Books

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones