1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nook - DOA

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zuben el genub, Jun 26, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Looks like Nook will become defunct.

B&N has horrible customer relations and quite a few fanboys. I ran into some when I had a question about the tablet.

I have one I still can't get unregistered. B&N can't find it, despite the fact I have the receipts. Could be retaliation for calling some of the associates that you couldn't opt out from spammers.

http://news.techeye.net/business/nook-sinking-barnes-and-noble

I don't like that touting of the discount card, either. I've warned associates to be quiet. If they didn't, I just dumped purchases on counter and left.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

I'd hate to lose any more brick and mortar stores, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I've always thought the problem with buying a Nook was that you were betting that Barnes and Noble would stay in business. I can't blame them for trying the e-reader business, it would have been almost irresponsible not to at least try, but competing with Amazon was always going to be an uphill battle. Ironically, they seem to have become less customer friendly since they started struggling. The store near me removed all of the comfy chairs and couches they used to have that made people want to hang out there. Now it seems like they want you to just hurry up and get out.
    I do also hate being hassled about buying the discount card every time, (as well as being pressured to open a Kohl 's charge every time I shop there) but I can't blame the employees for doing what they are told.
    With Border's long gone, B&N basically has no competitors. If they can't survive even without competition things look bleak indeed for the traditional book business.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

The writing was on the wall for them when most of their books were shifted to dirty pulp instead of paper.

I haven't been in, other than to look at the Nooks, since they insisted that remote viewing (closing your eyes and imagining that you can see things under the Sphinx) really belonged in the science stacks. Because oh-wow-man-it-is.

Businesses always get exactly what they deserve.

The only ones that fail to comprehend that are bad management.

4. zuben el genub

What science dept? Ours has shrunk to about 4 shelves. Mostly cookbooks, latest sham psychology, and romances.

The computer dept. is going strong and Iphone and Android for Dummies are popular.
    I suppose it's the part of the country where you live. A more urbane community might get better books.

MS also got in the act somewhere along the line.

I used the Nook, but never bought books from B&N. Discovered Creative Commons, Project Gutenberg, and Baen to name a few. Also quite a few downloads from the NPS. B&N is rather thin on books I like.

The price fixing complaints against Apple do not help. Some magazines make no exception for digital delivery. The one I know does, uses its own site and you can download there by subscription.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I tried to pick up a set of Greek classics as gifts a few years back. Nothing but pulp. As was most all classic literature. I have 40+ years old paperbacks that are still in better shape than the trash there.

The science section was several shelves but almost no science and nothing at all of merit.

The cutouts by the front were made of real paper.

mikedt likes this.
  6. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Wait, remote viewing is real. I saw it in a movie. They wouldn't make stuff like that up.:p

Subject Zero (2004)
    See, totally real.;)

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Gmash and mikedt like this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That's a bummer, a couple of my friends have just published their first book on the Nook.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...rer-danny-teller/1115238492?ean=2940016669922
    "The Eternity of Being a Global Explorer by Danny Teller & Yvonne Wu."

It's been on there for about five weeks, don't think it's sold one copy yet.

B&N could probably sell the Nook to another company. Maybe Micro$oft could make a go of it?

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Check out "NOOK

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

"This app cannot be installed in your device's country." :rolleyes: United States only I guess. Amazon Kindle is available here as an Android app, as is the iTunes book store for iOS. BTW I told my "author" friends to get their book in the iTunes Store, they might have a wider potential readership.

When I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago W H Smith, a major UK bookstore, was really promoting an ebook reader called Kobo with in-store displays and demonstration devices, and I've never heard of that one before.

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

:banghead:

Way to be, B&N.

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Indeed. What it means though if a Nook customer came to China, or whatever other country, and bought a new Android device or reset their existing one, they wouldn't be able to access and read their own purchased Nook ebooks. :mad:

13. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Wow.

Cut out the largest emerging markets as customers.

Complain about profits.

Send product out for cheaper manufacture in...

Wait for it...

Wait...

The largest emerging markets that you've cut out.

Attention Barnes and Noble - the rest of this post is just for you.

Please don't ever change!

You're destined for a special place in history.

Management students will study you for years to come.

Have a board meeting and celebrate.

See if you can't figure out some business mysteries while you're at it.

They say Amazon has some good books on business mysteries, try them!

14. zuben el genub

I think Kobo is the old Palm reader redone. Uses PRC files. Borders used it.

Nook has deleted stuff, but Amazon has, too.
    Supposedly if you have an American Credit card and an American address, you can get stuff from B&N.

Kid has an account at an American credit union, and uses their CC, and our address, and still can't get anywhere with B&N.

Told her to forget about it, and will get her a Kindle. She likes the E-ink for reading.

15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

mikedt likes this.
  16. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'd never heard of Kobo, until my mate told me he published his book on it. Although I've subsequently found his book on Amazon Kindle, so hopefully he might find a much wider audience here.

If you can't download the "free" Nook ebook app, you're hosed. B&N = fail. :rolleyes:

Yup, good advice.