• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nook outperforms the xoom

If I'm not mistaken the issue is not performance related... it's actually all about hardware compatibility. The initial version of the Netflix app was supposedly written specifically to support the Snapdragon processor. Until they expand their code base to include more processors the app will only run on Android devices that have Snapdragon processors in them. The Nook Color does... the Xoom does not (It's got a Tegra 2).

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken the issue is not performance related... it's actually all about hardware compatibility. The initial version of the Netflix app was supposedly written specifically to support the Snapdragon processor. Until they expand their code base to include more processors the app will only run on Android devices that have Snapdragon processors in them. The Nook Color does... the Xoom does not (It's got a Tegra 2).

Nook Color doesn't use a Snapdragon, it uses an OMAP. The Android Market Netflix app doesn't officially support the Nook Color, so I'm not sure how it's on there (rooted? official?).

Upvote 0
No matter what you do to it it is still a Civic.

Still, I never understand when people make these car analogies. A Civic and a M3 cost what? 15,000 and 30,000? A Xoom and a Nook Color cost 600 and 250. The Xoom is no M3.
Try more like 20k and 60k, fully optioned.

The NC is great, I have it and love tweaking with it. But it is no Xoom, which I also have.

Upvote 0
Ok. So I'm between keeping my NC and rooting it, or keeping my ipad2. Bought both, trying them out till return date runs out. Rooted NC sounds awesome. My only concern is with possible memory. Can I put in a bigger card?
Out of the box, the iPad2 is going to be a signifigantly better experience.

Since you haven't "rooted" your NC, you have in no way seen what it can do. I suggest getting a uSD card, and following one of the guides in the root section on loading Phiremod onto the SD card.

Reboot your NC with the card in it and take a look and see if you like the full Android Gingerbread OS. This will give you a much better idea of what a fully opened up NC can do. Keep in mind, running on the SD card does make it a little slower, so it will only get faster if you install to internal memory.

By doing this, you don't risk violating your warranty and will be able to return you NC. Just power down, take the card out and when you reboot, you're back to completely stock.

B&N will not take back a rooted NC. Depending on your level of computer knowledge, you certainly can unroot it or put the stock ROM back on, but I still suggest installing the aforementioned uSD card because it's easier and gives you a much better understanding as to what you'll really be able to accomplish.

FYI,
"Rooting" just means opening up the base OS files so you have more access. Nothing looks any different, you can just do more such as use the Android market and install apps.

ROMs are files that overwrite the base OS, and can make the device look and act completely different.

Upvote 0
well the color nook, once it has been rooted, out perform the XOOM in any way; speed, performance, etc.?

The XOOM has a 1ghz dual core Tegra 2 processor with 1gb of internal RAM and 32gb of flash.

Motorola XOOM CDMA specs - Phone Arena

The NookColor has an 800mhz OMAP 3621 processor with 512mb of internal RAM and 8gb of stacked flash.

https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/product/nook-color-specs.html

From a raw performance standpoint the XOOM's hardware will likely be faster. It also has more internal memory and more flash.

If you root and overclock the Nook Color you're gonna have yourself a horse race. Personally, however, I'm happy with both my NC and Xoom just they way I have each configured...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones