• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Nooo!!! Cracked Display!

I cracked the Display on my Captivate!
Has anyone replaced one yet? I've found several online for sale but none mention coming with instructions or tools. I need to make sure I can do the work before I drop $90 on a new display!

How did it break?

Looks like a few have successfully replaced it:

Wife broke the screen. New parts on the way... - Page 2 - xda-developers

Disassembly pics:

Captivate Teardown! (Step by Step, LOTS OF PICTURES) - xda-developers

Good luck!

Reactions: Loco Leeep
Upvote 0
How did it break?
Ugh, I've been so careful with this phone. I'm so bummed by this.
I've been carrying my phone in my front left pants pocket with nothing else in there. I've always been a holster kind of guy but I've also always been a beaten up phone kind of guy so I made a decision, no holsters with this phone!
With the change of weather around here, I've been wearing jackets. I've taken to keeping it in the left jacket pocket instead of my pants.
Well, I was getting in the car the other day and when I shut the car door, the jacket pocket was hanging down beside the seat. It just happend to catch my phone on it's edge between the seat and the door. There was a sickening crunchy sound.
The bottom right of the glass is shattered (over the search and back soft keys) and theres a pretty long crack up the center of my phone.
surprisingly, everything still works perfectly. I put a piece of scotch tape over the worst of it so little slivers of glass don't fall off.
I'm going to give replacing the display a try.
I'm pretty surprised how affordable it is considering that it's the digitizer, display and glass all rolled into one. The teardown pics I've seen kind of imply there's a pcb attached to the back of it too.
There's a company near here that's made a pretty good name for themselves replacing iphone displays. I may see how much they want to do it for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones