1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sohc sti, Sep 2, 2011.

1. sohc sti

sohc sti Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009

Advertisement

2. dr01d3tte

dr01d3tte Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Saint Louie
    True or not, I'm really tired of Sammy treating the US customers as inferior life forms. *oooh here's a shiny! But not for you!*

3. supsandroid

supsandroid Newbie
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    I think it's more than that. Legal issues are most likely getting in the way. And US carriers hfor some reason have to subsidize each handset to their own network (ie: FOUR different models of the galaxy S.

4. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    We never know how that might change. I bet it will come here some day though not expecting it any time soon.

5. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    News is updated that there is nothing official regarding their regional release plan. The representative at IFA was probably told to refrain from commenting on it. So let's hope US is included in their release plan!

6. Boondoc

Boondoc Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    actually that's not totally true. yes, samsung would have to make each model carrier specific in that it would need to work on the right bands, but they could release a phone with bands to cover At&t and Tmob pretty easily. the problem lies with us, the customers and to a certain extent the carriers. we would see more and more timely releases if we were willing to forgo the subsidized pricing models.

buy a phone outright irrespective of the carrier and makers would than likely include us in the global launch.

7. reiththestud

reiththestud Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    It's also an issue with carrier specification. US carriers don't want a vanilla phone compatible with any other carrier; they want a specifically branded phone with their crapware loaded up to "differentiate" it. Notice Sprint has the EVO, AT&T has the Inspire, and Verizon has the Thunderbolt. Small differences aside, they're essentially the same phone. Even if Samsung performed a miracle and created a Note with every CDMA and GSM frequency possible, the carriers would probably want nothing to do with it.

What I don't understand is why EVERYONE is conceding the PMP market to Apple. If there was a was simply a Wifi-only Note released priced between $250-$350,I would buy one really quickly. That's how people fill their iPhone itch when they're on a competing network; they get their carrier's premier smartphone or texting phone and then use an iPod Touch for their Apple fix. This is why Apple can tout that they've sold 100 million + iOS devices because they can count from a huge family of devices.

8. Relaxed

Relaxed Newbie
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I'm coming from Europe - in fact one of the most 'tricky' states (Italy) - but thank goodness we don't have this 'carrier specific' issue. You just go and buy one, stick your old SIM card in it, and voil