• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not a fan of ICS, factory reset questions...

Hi welcome to the forum. To answer your question a factory reset will not take you back to honeycomb. All a factory reset does is remove your settings and personal data from the device.

I think for what your looking to do you would have to re install the original factory firmware. I am sure there are some other's on the forum who can give you more details on that and if its the best solution to your problem.

Upvote 0
Hi welcome to the forum. To answer your question a factory reset will not take you back to honeycomb. All a factory reset does is remove your settings and personal data from the device.
Just to clarify, a factory reset removes your settings, apps, accounts, etc. But it also removes any configuration info for the firmware, which means you end up with a "clean" setup that has no data or settings from any previous setup. I think this is a good thing, as it means you have a "virgin" setup and you can now configure or set it up as you wish without any bias to the configuration.
I think for what your looking to do you would have to re install the original factory firmware. I am sure there are some other's on the forum who can give you more details on that and if its the best solution to your problem.
To go back to HoneyComb (ugh, why would you want to?), you need to get Odin software, flash a copy of CWM recovery, and a copy of the original firmware, then reboot into recovery mode, wipe 'cache', 'data', and also wipe 'dalvik cache', and then flash the older firmware. Reboot and you should have HC setup on your screen.

But I must say, ICS is a HUGE improvement over HC, so I don't see why you would want to revert to a lesser version? Yes ICS is 'different', but it's 'different' and better in most regards. Perhaps you could tell us what it is you're having issues with in ICS and we can assist?

Upvote 0
I agree with bfksc, ICS is a big improvement over HC.
Actually, if you want to go back to HC, you don't have to flash CWM.
Do a reset first, and just set up the tab to get it going. Don't update anything or reinstall
any apps.
Download the HC 3.2 firmware from sammobile, and flash with Odin.
Doing a reset again at this point is also a good idea.
I've done this a couple of times now but then updated again to ICS.
Reason being is that I rooted my tab and did some experimenting. When done, I wanted to go back to a clean install of ICS.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. First of all, it has slowed down my tablet considerably. I actually used to really like the built in browser, and the new update has made it next to useless. Dolphin as well seems to have been downgraded, but not as much. Secondly, flash player does not work across any browser, which is very frustrating. Finally, the pure aesthetic changes of it bother me, as I really liked the honeycomb layout but I find the new layout to be very ugly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. First of all, it has slowed down my tablet considerably. I actually used to really like the built in browser, and the new update has made it next to useless. Dolphin as well seems to have been downgraded, but not as much. Secondly, flash player does not work across any browser, which is very frustrating. Finally, the pure aesthetic changes of it bother me, as I really liked the honeycomb layout but I find the new layout to be very ugly.

Well, your experience with ICS is pretty much the opposite of what most people are getting.
ICS should make your tab faster, not slower.
I have both the stock browser and Dolphin. Both work fine (although there is a minor glitch with the address bar in the stock browser).
As for Flash, I'm having no problems with it, but you're not alone if you are. Some others are having issues too; don't know why.
As for aesthetics, that of course is a personal preference. I'm using the Nova launcher with a theme that I really like.
Anyway, getting back to HC 3.2 is very easy with Odin. I would recommend a factory reset first, then flash the HC 3.2 firmware, and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Sad, as for me (and any other comment I caught) ICS has seemingly put myTAB (GT-P7500D) on afterburner... and beautifier. My TAB is no longer ashamed to run alongside my SGS3 (ICS 4.0.4)!

But thanks to your comment I suddenly became anxious to reinstall and test my usual "stuff" (yeah: I had to reset to coax the TAB into "seeing" the OTA, yesterday): Flash does run fine for me, I'm sorry to say. I hope somebody on this forum comes up with the "gem" hindsight for you.

Upvote 0
Oh- One more thing: I cannot play many of my favorite games now as they have become very slow and laggy after ICS was installed.
If you're having speed issues, I'd guess it's either a rogue app or a bad flash.
If a factory reset doesn't work to clear it up, try resetting from the Recovery Menu. From there you can 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache', then reboot and your Tab will have a fresh copy of ICS setup. See how that works for performance BEFORE restoring all your apps and settings.

If that doesn't clear it up, then use Recovery Menu to wipe the tablet, then use Odin to flash ICS again. See how that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones