• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Not a very popular device . . .

CapThrowback

Android Expert
Mar 15, 2011
Pwnnsylvania
I just got one of these for my wife, on Sprint. She found my M8 a bit too heavy for her taste, but she LOVES the E8.

There isn't much of anything in the way of rooting guides or even a custom recovery for this device. Fortunately for my wife's needs, root was all that was required.

I used SunShine S-OFF to remove the bootloader security, and then used TowelRoot to root the device. I then installed SuperSU, and uninstalled TowelRoot. Now, her device is rooted, so I could restore her app data with Titanium Backup, and because the stock recovery is intact, she'll still be able to take OTAs as they come in. All I'll have to do is run TowelRoot (or possibly TowelPieRoot) again, install SuperSU, and have root back :).

All in all, not too difficult a process for a highly unsupported device. I'd probably support it more if I had one of my own. With it being my wife's, she really would prefer I didn't touch it more than necessary. The good thing about the device is that from a hardware perspective, it's nearly identical to the M8, meaning most things that work for it have a chance of working on the E8.

If I get bored enough, I might look into building a recovery for this device, but to be honest, I'm not sure it's even worth my time. I mean, this is the first post in this section!

Well since I didn't understand a word you just said I'll wait a bit till I get one lol.

Since you have a M8, how does the camera compare to your Evo? I've read the reviews on numerous sites and while the re-focus feature of the M8 sounds nifty I don't think I would use it. That's what attracted me to the E8 and the 13mp camera.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones