1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

not able to install extracted apk

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Brenti, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Brenti

Brenti Lurker

I am trying to do something that I thought would work, but doesn't. So my question is why. This is how it goes:

An app I have used got an update I didn't like. However, I noticed that it still had not been updated on another device. So I tried to be clever by saving that version of the app by using Apk extractor and moving the .apk to the other device (after uninstalling the application that had the update, of course). But for some reason this does not work. The installation starts and I give it the required permissions, but its ends with the notice "was not installed". Why?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

There could be a number of reasons. I think a better way to get previous versions of apps is by using apkmirror.com. It is a legit resource for apps.

ocnbrze, MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  3. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

#3 MrJavi, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Dannydet, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That usually means either the app is incompatible with the phone or tablet you''re trying to install it on, or the APK was corrupted or truncated.

5. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Another option is install an app from the play store that can create a duplicate apk file. Super backup pro will achieve this

MrJavi, Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Brenti

Brenti Lurker

Thank you for the answer. The apkmirror solved it, I managed to install an older version of the app in question. Now I just have to see to it, that I don't run an update by mistake.

MrJavi and Unforgiven like this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Good to hear. Make sure you do what @MrJavi suggested and turn off updates in the Play app.

MrJavi likes this.