• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not being 4G LTE a deal breaker?

Jumping on the bandwagon early always has it disadvantages. I will get the Atrix, I look at it as giving ATT the time to develop the network and get all the kinks worked out. As with all technology, if you wait because you want something better you will always be waiting. I think the Atrix will work well even as a non LTE device.

Upvote 0
The fact that it's not LTE is the reason I want it. They will more than likely change data plans for LTE. You'll get to keep unlimited with the Atrix if you currently have it...which makes the laptop dock much more usable.

Excellent point

I'm guessing the other providers are creating new plans for 4G LTE? Please excuse my ignorance...I'm slowly understanding that all the carriers are using smoke and mirrors with 4G.

Upvote 0
As with all technology, if you wait because you want something better you will always be waiting. I think the Atrix will work well even as a non LTE device.

I agree with you - I am not the one that waits....I like to have the latest gadgets when it's available. I currently own an iphone4 and want to covince myself that the Atrix is an upgrade....or if I should wait for iphone5:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Since the Atrix isn't 4G LTE compatible, is it a deal breaker since AT&T will roll out 4G LTE in the 2H?

I was excited about this phone and now I'm second guessing it.... :thinking:

Perhaps I'm miss-reading the post or mis-understanding the technology. As I understand it 4G and LTE are two different technologies. The Atrix is indeed 4G compatible but not LTE compatible.

In this case I could care less about LTE. Especially since in the first 6-12 months of its existence coverage for LTE will be in very few places. So it's no deal breaker here.

Upvote 0
I agree with you - I am not the one that waits....I like to have the latest gadgets when it's available. I currently own an iphone4 and want to covince myself that the Atrix is an upgrade....or if I should wait for iphone5:rolleyes:

All I have to do to convince myself that the Atrix is an upgrade is to look at the iPhone. A 5x4 grid of apps is soooooooo boring. After having all four iPhones iOS looks just like it did in 2007. My iPhone 4 lags and apps freeze so it's not perfect like people like to say about iOS. Also the notification system is an absolute disgrace. The iPhone is certainly a smartphone for the masses because it's dumbed down, simple, and boring but it's not the smartphone for me anymore. The only reason I still have one is because until now I haven't like AT&T's Android choices.

Upvote 0
All I have to do to convince myself that the Atrix is an upgrade is to look at the iPhone. A 5x4 grid of apps is soooooooo boring. After having all four iPhones iOS looks just like it did in 2007. My iPhone 4 lags and apps freeze so it's not perfect like people like to say about iOS. Also the notification system is an absolute disgrace. The iPhone is certainly a smartphone for the masses because it's dumbed down, simple, and boring but it's not the smartphone for me anymore. The only reason I still have one is because until now I haven't like AT&T's Android choices.

I agree, I'm really bored with the iphone. It's so simple that my 2yr old can use it. This smartphone actually makes me feel dumb...

Upvote 0
I agree, I'm really bored with the iphone. It's so simple that my 2yr old can use it. This smartphone actually makes me feel dumb...

I have a friend who has a 3 year old. She can pick up his iPhone unlock it and go through all his pages of apps and find the games that she plays. All he does is hand it to her and she can do everything else. That's great for a ton of people and it's part of the reason that the iPhone is so popular but it's just not for me.

Upvote 0
Thabends commented earlier about unlimited data. It was my understand that during the process of getting a new smartphone it was MANDATORY to go down to the 2GB cap (it was when I called AT&T and on Amazon when I was considering the Captivate). Is there a way around this, as I have unlimited data on my BB right now??

Also, is the HTC Inspire going to be LTE compatible?

Upvote 0
I think people are just hoping for the Best! I'm gonna wait and see what the verdict is with at&t's 4G! Its not really about the Atrix at this point, or the Inspire. Its more the network and how its going to work. IMO at&t's network will get lighter in the next couple of months, many, many people are jumping to Big Red, so that could end up helping at&t lighten the stress load on they're network. Before the iPhone my at&t service was on the money. Calls were really good, and Data was pretty darn good, even on a Blackberry 8800....So this time I'm just gonna sit back, and wait and see how everything plays out. Hopefully they come to they're senses and start pricing more competitively.

Upvote 0
I really want the Atrix but my concern is that this phone will be a dinosaur at the end of the 2 yr commitment considering at&t will have at least a year of lte under its belt and verizon close to 2 years at that time. Isn't it smarter to go with the bionic and get a phone that will at least be able to make use of what will undoubtedly be the network standard (LTE) in two years? I have good at&t coverage in NJ so its not really an issue. What do you think?

Upvote 0
As others said, since LTE isn't available in many area (for 1-2 years) why buy an LTE phone that can't take advantage of it? As was said, in two years LTE should be deployed, and by that time there'll be lots of awesomer phones out there... the Atrix will be last week's news and the fanboyz will be praying to the Next Big Thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones