• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not booting - official Orange update

NeilB

Sep 2, 2009
UK
Hiya

I sat around waiting for the official ROM and now it doesn't boot!

The update looked like it went fine, but it doesn't get past the "HERO" that it shows on boot. I've tried a full reset through holding down keys - that did its thing, but still no booting. I've tried reflashing, again that seemed to go ok, but still no booting. I've tried powering up with and without the SIM and SD card..

Anyone got any ideas? I've now got a brick, though pleased I waited for the official update as at least I should be able to throw it back if I can't rescue it.

Rubbish!

You've probably already tried this, but I know it caught a lot of people out before. How long have you left the phone on the Hero splashcreen before calling it a day and trying a reset? I ask because it can take a while on first reboot after updating to fully boot. Some people reported that it sat for a good 5 or 6 minutes and were sweating that they'd bricked their phone.

Upvote 0
No - the upgrade ran happily and I didn't have any issues (or do anything daft) whist the install(s) were happening.

I've emailed HTC support to see if they come up with a suggestion, otherwise it will be an Orange return. Would be nice if it can get sorted without returning as the hardware has been fine.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is why I dithered about the custom rom and used the official one instead. If I had used the custom rom then I may be in a worse situation (if I end up returning this then they may check to see what I tried to install).

Just to re-iterate, my non-booting Hero as the Official ROM installed :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones