1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Not connecting to home wifi-saying incorrect password

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sweetersong, Jul 30, 2013.

1. sweetersong

sweetersong Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    My home wifi is set up with a passphrase and WEP key. I received my Samsung Galaxy S3 today and have tried to connect to my home wifi (not something I have tried before with a phone but have our laptop and xbox connected wireless to it)

It keeps coming up incorrect password.

I have logged into to my router, changed the passphrase and WEP key and then reset the router. I checked with the laptop, and I had to set it to the new WEP key which worked fine after I did this.

Yet, I have tried using both the passphrase and WEP key from my Samsung when trying to connect to the network and still get "invalid password" error, feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall

Advertisement

2. legalkill

legalkill Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    Make sure you are matching the correct password/phrase to the type of security. As in wpa/wpa2 or wep. WEP used the long 26 hex password. WPA uses phrases you can assign. Older routers also used a phrase generator to create wep hex keys which may be the confusion. WEP is old though.

3. sweetersong

sweetersong Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    When I log into the router it asks me for a passphrase, I then click "generate" and it comes up with 4 WEP keys and I have to select the radio button next to one of them

Tried both the passphrase and new WEP key on Samsung and keeps saying it is wrong. On my settings on Samsung it definitely says security-WEP

4. legalkill

None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    Then make sure you are using the long key1 that is generated and security is selected wep. They are a pain to type so showing the password option will help make sure you are putting it in correctly.

Also try copy and paste the key and sending it to your phone via email or text. Then copy and paste into the password field (watch out for copying and pasting spaces). This may help make sure you put in the correct characters.

Does your router give you the option to set a different security type? No offense but WEP security only routers are older.

Found this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-s3-general-discussion/218812-linksys-router-fix.html

5. ThatOneRearEnd

ThatOneRearEnd Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2013
    Male
    Paramedic
    Germany
    Why don't you use WPA(2)?

6. legalkill

None

Feb 7, 2010
    GA
    I was trying to hint that they should look into getting a newer router probably. They are most likely using a 6+ year old router that only does wep.

Newer router also means increased speed and range.

7. ThatOneRearEnd

None

Jul 8, 2013
    Male
    Paramedic
    Germany
    I also have a router here that's... Well, I don't know how old it is, but it's old ;)
    It might likely be a PEBKAC, no offense though, for not being able to set the router to WPA... ;)

You wouldn't believe how many people still use WEP-encryption because they simply don't know how to switch...

8. sweetersong

sweetersong Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    My router does allow WPA2, but yet that hasn't seemed to work either.

It asks for password at least 8 characters long, which I created , reset modem and router, just in case, tried connecting via S3, and yet it STILL says incorrect password!!!

9. sweetersong

sweetersong Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2013
    Defintely a problem with the phone I think, I even temporarily unsecured the network for 2 minutes, before putting it back as WPA2, that still comes up as "authentication error-incorrect password" on the Samsung, even though I wasn't putting a password in!

Whatever I change, I use with laptop and it works, try with phone and it does not work :-(

10. ThatOneRearEnd

None

Jul 8, 2013
    Male
    Paramedic
    Germany
    What kind of router do you have anyway?